Fishing Thread

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Try fishing in the evening - most productive part of the day.

Fish light. A few flies, a floating line and your rod - it's all out need.

Or try trotting, let the current take your float.

Fish have no eyelids, so they are more active during dawn and dusk. I like to let them have a day off, it's only fair. Also the law in Scotland. Just have to enjoy your time. You might not have long - the fish have less.

Responsibilities, wise Piscator educating Venator eh?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
lol :) I'll meet you half way. It's definitely possible, which is more than I gave credit for initially. but, believable?
I don't know what's more unbelievable, that you caught a 230lb tarpon or that you did not take a picture of it.
If I caught a 230lb anything there would be photo evidence of it. Apparently the guys in the 30's and 40's felt the same way.
I'm not inclined to believe any fishing story unless there's photo evidence. We all know the level of embellishment and just pure lies that seem to be compulsory when telling fishing stories.
I have pics somewhere. It was actually the day they killed hitler the shark. Come to think of it I think all we have is video and I dunno where that is. This was in the late 80's. Heres the way it works in the tourney. You troll a live bait till you hook up, then jump in the chair, normal crank down and pull back. Do that for 45 min and lots of reversing and forwarding, the first mate touches the leader and the fish is considered caught. The first mate and then captian guestimate the size and weight. You can't even see it because its so big over the side and your locked down into a seat. Only time I saw mine was in the video afterwards. I'll dig up some family fishing pics that will prove my validity. Its funny I really don't even care about the tarpon because I was like 13-15 and my dads partner brought his 14 year old daughter. So I was trying to land that most of the time. But gods honest truth the capt and first mate said 230lb was a good judgement call. If I recall the FM even though it may be a lil bigger, but since we weren't actually competeing in the tourney we released it unharmed. I know we do have pics of hitler from that trip. I'll do my best to dig up some nice cobia, kings, tarpon, grouper,etc... But I gotta dig thru family photos from years past.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Try fishing in the evening - most productive part of the day.

Fish light. A few flies, a floating line and your rod - it's all out need.

Or try trotting, let the current take your float.

Fish have no eyelids, so they are more active during dawn and dusk. I like to let them have a day off, it's only fair. Also the law in Scotland. Just have to enjoy your time. You might not have long - the fish have less.

Responsibilities, wise Piscator educating Venator eh?
actually anytime the light changes is good, added with tidal change, I try to do sun rise or sun set with it full to 1/2 full tide. Or else all nighter sharking trips. You can catch anything but sharks are easy fun and abundent.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'll give up Sunday fishing when my employer allows me to fish M-F.
Back when we were young bucks as I said basically feeding ourselves from the gulf we had it made like kings. Just girlfriends whining to get jobs and that was it. But my good bud would comply with his girl and fill out apps every day she took him too. What he didn't tell her under "hours of availability:" he wrote in "Low Tide"Needless to say he didn't find a job that year.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Back when we were young bucks as I said basically feeding ourselves from the gulf we had it made like kings. Just girlfriends whining to get jobs and that was it. But my good bud would comply with his girl and fill out apps every day she took him too. What he didn't tell her under "hours of availability:" he wrote in "Low Tide"Needless to say he didn't find a job that year.
kind of like when my employers say, but you don't have any holidays left, and my reply is, I may not have any paid holidays left, but I have holidays whenever I take them.