First year Degree question.... I'm useless! (Capacitance, Inductance, Phasors)

EnjoyIce

Joined Jan 13, 2014
Hey guys! I am currently doing my coursework and this is the last question on it yet for some reason I cannot get anywhere. I just draw a complete mind blank and just end up staring at it for ages. I have even been back to it a few times after taking a break but still... nothing :confused:

So, it would be great it you guys could help me :D!

If you want to just solve it and post it here then that is fine as I can still look at the workings/method and teach myself from those.

Buttt, it would be great if you could point me in the right direction step by step as I will learn better that way :) (Baby steps, treat me like I know nothing! Its the only way I will know I have 100% understanding by the time I've finished)

A step by step guide through the parts to the end would be fantastic as I can work through the question and then come back here with my answers to check with you lot. Since you guys are probably a tad better at this than I am :p

Thanks in advance!

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
a)
Zc=1/(j*w*C)=-j/(w*C)=-j/(2*pi*f*C)
Zc is known.
pi is known.
f is known.
Plug them in and solve for C.

ZL=j*w*L=j*(2*pi*f)*L
ZL is known.
pi is known.
f is known.
Plug them in and solve for L.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Somebody has their units of capacitance and inductance mixed up.
How do you figure, since the values are complex impedances in Ohms. Positive for inductance and negative for capacitance and real for resistance.

Never mind you were referring to question a) for the unit mixup.