First project, need help

Towboat1208

Joined Feb 18, 2015
This is my first project that I am attempting. I chose to try and make an auxiliary cable for my car to plug into my phone I bought some 18 g speaker wire and two 1/8th plugs. I soldered them up making sure I matched up the ends and after I tested it all I have is one side of the audio. Has anyone ever tried this? And where did I go wrong. Do the wires need to be swapped or did I buy the wrong wires or plugs? Help please

Towboat1208

Joined Feb 18, 2015
No I don't believe so but its just an audio cable so I didn't think the power would affect it but I've resoldered my connections and still only one side of the audio is working

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh. You want to use the car for speakers, not for charging the phone.
There are many mistakes available.
You need a stereo jack and stereo plug with a 3 wire cable.
You need the amplifier to be wired internally as you have wired the connectors. That part is usually not a problem.
Please describe your parts and connections.

Towboat1208

Joined Feb 18, 2015
Yes sir, and I have red and black 18g speaker wire and the 1/8 jack with the two tabs on them. So if I need three wires then I bought the wrong wire and the wrong jacks. All the stuff I bought has two connections

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yup, that's the problem. Next time also consider shielded cable, as that will help cut down on noise. The shield can be one of the conductors, usually the common or "ground"

Last edited:

Towboat1208

Joined Feb 18, 2015
Yea was just looking for a simple project to build something that I use everyday plus I like my cables on the longer side, so I figured why not just build one