Firmware Real-time testing and debugging

ahmaza

Joined Jul 10, 2021
Hi,
I'm building a power electronics device based on micro-controller and currently testing run-time performance. I'm using serial port to exchange data between the micro-controller and PC

1. I always have missing samples. any suggestions on how to exchange data in Real-Time with PC. [better not to be MCU vendor specific]
2. I need to monitor many variables during run-time, how to configure watch window to keep updating even if the MCU is running?
3. Can I change the address in the watch-variable window during run-time ?
4. what CI/CD tools available for automating embedded real-time application testing?

Thanks in Advance

ahmaza

Joined Jul 10, 2021
That is the catch.
What do you mean by "Real-Time"?
What is the "data"?

In other words, how many bytes of data do you want to transfer each second?
Hi
I'm monitoring data from ADC input and also PWM values. So Real-time means to capture the data as it occurs. i want to monitor the change in pwm values as the input changes.

for the data rate the adc is sampling at 100ksps 16-bit.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
I'm monitoring data from ADC input and also PWM values. So Real-time means to capture the data as it occurs. i want to monitor the change in pwm values as the input changes.

for the data rate the adc is sampling at 100ksps 16-bit.
This is not about monitoring variables during runtime.
This is about logging, storage, and retrieval of data. You need to apply a systems approach to the design of the whole app.

NASA collects data from its Mars exploration rovers and the James Webb Space Telescope in "real time". How do they do it?

ahmaza

Joined Jul 10, 2021
This is not about monitoring variables during runtime.
This is about logging, storage, and retrieval of data. You need to apply a systems approach to the design of the whole app.

NASA collects data from its Mars exploration rovers and the James Webb Space Telescope in "real time". How do they do it?
Yeah this is what i need to do exactly. but i don,t know the tools for that. Can you suggest the best tools for logging the data and also sensing test stimulus is Real-Time?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah this is what i need to do exactly. but i don,t know the tools for that. Can you suggest the best tools for logging the data and also sensing test stimulus is Real-Time?
You don't use tools for this. You use design effort.

1) Write down how many pieces of data is required, i.e. total number of bytes.
2) Write down the sampling rate and hence the data rate in bytes per second.
3) Write down how long you need to record and hence the total storage requirements.
4) Write down the total storage capacity of your system.
5) Write down the throughput of your data channel, i.e. how many bytes per second you can transfer.

ahmaza

Joined Jul 10, 2021
You don't use tools for this. You use design effort.

1) Write down how many pieces of data is required, i.e. total number of bytes.
2) Write down the sampling rate and hence the data rate in bytes per second.
3) Write down how long you need to record and hence the total storage requirements.
4) Write down the total storage capacity of your system.
5) Write down the throughput of your data channel, i.e. how many bytes per second you can transfer.
I guess you mean to use the internal MCU or board resources [sram mainly ] for data storage. So I have to:
1- add some code to capture the required data samples internally
2- add another piece of code to send the buffer to PC
3-write some application on PC to interpret the data

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I guess you mean to use the internal MCU or board resources [sram mainly ] for data storage. So I have to:
1- add some code to capture the required data samples internally
2- add another piece of code to send the buffer to PC
3-write some application on PC to interpret the data
You cannot start doing those things until you write down the specifications I outlined in post #6.
64GB flash memory cards for data storage are readily available these days.