Finding relay for high current

Michael Grenader

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Hey, im trying to build an automatic setup to test smart switch. I have a few points to connect to the load and i want to put a relay between each test point and the load. I want to load at 50 amps, and the maximum voltage for the card supply is 30 volt. Can someone recommend me a relay that will work on those requirements? I searched a lot on thr web and couldn't find anything that is suitable, most of the rrlays i found was for 50 amps but only 12-24v dc.
Thanks in advance

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
If the unit is made for short tests not a working years and years, then for switching-on some small overstepping the voltage is OK. It just will shorten the life span of relay but no other big problems. But be careful to DIS-connect that load if relay voltage is loo low, that will immediately end with plasma and fire. By the way, Im curious, about WHICH voltage You are speaking, the contact max voltage or coil work voltage?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
P.S. The railways are using some giant relays for 600V 1200A, sometimes they dismount them thus may find trashed along the rails.

Michael Grenader

Joined Dec 27, 2015
If the unit is made for short tests not a working years and years, then for switching-on some small overstepping the voltage is OK. It just will shorten the life span of relay but no other big problems. But be careful to DIS-connect that load if relay voltage is loo low, that will immediately end with plasma and fire. By the way, Im curious, about WHICH voltage You are speaking, the contact max voltage or coil work voltage?
Hey, thanks for the reply, the setup supposed to work for switching for a couple of minutes and switching back off again. The voltage is the supply voltage from my power supply, im supplying max 30 volt, and loading for 50 amps

joeqsmith

Joined Oct 15, 2016
Looks like around 30W. The SSR's current/temperature derate curves may be a problem. MOSFET seems like a good choice but maybe just pick a better part with a lower RSDon.