Finding a switch

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm repairing an electric leaf blower for a friend. Its switch (off plus two speeds, SPTT) has poor contacts that cause the blower to cut in and out. Any thoughts where to find a replacement? I looked at Mouser and didn't have much luck. Is it worth even looking more? I mean, it has to have fairly specific dimensions to fit the housing in addition to its switching functions.

I've asked her if she would really mind if I hardwire it to full on and just lose the switch. No reply yet!

IMG_3815.jpg IMG_3822.jpg

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would search for the part number that you see on that switch. Can you pull the red top off to see how to remove the switch from the plastic casing?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Bend back the metal clips that hold the contact plate and see what has happened inside. It may be possible to clean or re-tension (as appropriate) and restore the switch function. Nothing to lose.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I would search for the part number that you see on that switch. Can you pull the red top off to see how to remove the switch from the plastic casing?
I'll go after it with my Dremel to see if I can lift a number. I tried for a while to pry off the red cap but I was afraid it would break. I can't see how they could build it without that being removable, but it didn't budge.

It's not a name brand blower - just cheap chinese crap I think. Noting more than a blower motor in a plastic housing. I'm trying to get my friend to stop buying such stuff but it's a battle.