Final summary about current

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalengineer3

Joined Feb 6, 2020
I wrote a thread starting awhile back about current, and I had a lot of poor questions in there. I think I understand it all better now and want to better confirm my understanding. Here it goes:

Our typical convention for current, is to say that positive current is in the direction of positive charge movement. There is another convention which says that positive current moves in the direction of electron movement. Is this the correct distinction between each convention(1)?

Within conventional current (I will ignore electron flow convention as not many people use it) I have seen the same statement above as our definition but without the word positive. More specifically, I sometimes see it stated as "current is in the direction of positive charge movement". Is this the same statement as "positive current is in the direction of positive charge movement"(2)? From what I have heard it is the same statement and the word positive is assumed in conversation.

My final question is within conventional current, if you solve for a current in a wire from a to b, and get a negative value, then electrons would flow from a to b, correct(3)? So ultimately conventional current says that positive current is in the direction of positive charge movement, and negative current is in the direction of negative charge movement(4)? I know this last question, people may not typically think of it that way, but would it be technically correct?

I have numbered the questions to make it easier to respond. Thanks so much for the continuous help and community!

Status
Not open for further replies.