Final Project - Bioimpedance Spectroscopy | Finding the right development kit

WaffleBoy

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Hello,

My name is Daniel and I'm a student for E&E. I started a final project about bioimpedance spectroscopy using electrodes.
I found this kit - Spectra Bioimpedance and EIT Complete Kit – Mindseye Biomedical and got one.
Sadly, the DFT sample rate is way too slow to achieve a smooth image (aka - "high frames per second").
I was trying to take out the raw data (ADC) which represents the impedance of the human body to a computer, but the microcontroller (Analog Devices - ADUCM350) is way too slow for that as well.

I'm looking for a kit which includes:
High ADC Sample rate (160k<)
Current measurement channels
Impedance measurement engine
etc...

In other words, I'm looking for a Bioimpedance Spectroscopy device/microcontroller/kit.

Do you know any?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In other words, I'm looking for a Bioimpedance Spectroscopy device/microcontroller/kit.
So what top-end frequency are you looking for, 1MHz, 100MHz?

If the device you have is otherwise suitable but too slow, I'd be tempted to contact the manufacturer and explain your situation. They might have faster units under development and maybe even a prototype you could access. They might ask you to help them "advertise" by publishing your work with their machine. They might also explain why what you're asking for is difficult to build.

WaffleBoy

Joined Apr 26, 2021
So what top-end frequency are you looking for, 1MHz, 100MHz?

If the device you have is otherwise suitable but too slow, I'd be tempted to contact the manufacturer and explain your situation. They might have faster units under development and maybe even a prototype you could access. They might ask you to help them "advertise" by publishing your work with their machine. They might also explain why what you're asking for is difficult to build.
In terms of "frequency" of sampling / processor / clock?

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
I think you should say the purpose of bioimpedance measurement first,
Is it for EMG tests , tomography, thermography or even sonography as acoustic impedance?!

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
IMO the complicated part of the device is number of channels you want to sweep for .based on the linked device kit, there're already 32 CHs ,that means you need a differential amp circuit with 32 inputs.for a usaul BIS test you have 1Mhz max for input frequency,but simultaneously sweeping between 32 CHs will multiply clock freq of hardware design to 32Mhz and above.

WaffleBoy

Joined Apr 26, 2021
IMO the complicated part of the device is number of channels you want to sweep for .based on the linked device kit, there're already 32 CHs ,that means you need a differential amp circuit with 32 inputs.for a usaul BIS test you have 1Mhz max for input frequency,but simultaneously sweeping between 32 CHs will multiply clock freq of hardware design to 32Mhz and above.
What do you mean by saying 1mhz max for input frequency? simultaneously or the frequency of the adc?
How is it related to the number of channels (mux)

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hello,

My name is Daniel and I'm a student for E&E. I started a final project about bioimpedance spectroscopy using electrodes.
I found this kit - Spectra Bioimpedance and EIT Complete Kit – Mindseye Biomedical and got one.
Sadly, the DFT sample rate is way too slow to achieve a smooth image (aka - "high frames per second").
I was trying to take out the raw data (ADC) which represents the impedance of the human body to a computer, but the microcontroller (Analog Devices - ADUCM350) is way too slow for that as well.

I'm looking for a kit which includes:
High ADC Sample rate (160k<)
Current measurement channels
Impedance measurement engine
etc...

Do you know any?
Where the rubber meets the road and _YOU MAKE THE KIT_

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3