Few Noob Questions

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
Hi, I am new here. I was recently salvaging components from a pretty old panasonic radio. There were a couple of small transformers.
Is there any way I could find out the voltages they accept and step down?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

If it's AC powered, only one is likely to be a power transformer. The line cord should have led to it. It might be difficult to tell much about the output without a meter to see what it puts out. Really small ones are likely to be audio impedance matching transformers, out even output transformers. They are pretty useless for junkbox purposes.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

you can also salvage some of the capacitors like ceramics, tantalums, and metall;ized film caps, but not the electrolytics. the transformers are usually the output transformers and coupling transformer and its power supply transformer. as to the power transfo you can check for continuity if it's open or not. however you won't be able to know whether the coils are grounded or not.

moz

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
Originally posted by mozikluv@Aug 8 2005, 06:02 PM
hi

you can also salvage some of the capacitors like ceramics, tantalums, and metall;ized film caps, but not the electrolytics. the transformers are usually the output transformers and coupling transformer and its power supply transformer. as to the power transfo you can check for continuity if it's open or not. however you won't be able to know whether the coils are grounded or not.

moz
[post=9510]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi..Thanks for the advice everybody. I would like to ask a few more questions if possible.
The radio is nearly three decades old.I am finding it difficult to identify some of the components because the serial numbers are not really clear. Is there any particular sight that helps in visual identification ? ( I don't really want to identify the transistor/diode/other component exactly ..just finding what family it belongs to be would be great)
And also Why not the electrolytic capacitors?

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by Vckay@Aug 11 2005, 08:34 AM
Hi..Thanks for the advice everybody. I would like to ask a few more questions if possible.
The radio is nearly three decades old.I am finding it difficult to identify some of the components because the serial numbers are not really clear. Is there any particular sight that helps in visual identification ? ( I don't really want to identify the transistor/diode/other component exactly ..just finding what family it belongs to be would be great)
And also Why not the electrolytic capacitors?
[post=9608]Quoted post[/post]​
hi,

to put it simply the chemical potency inside the electrolytics changes thru use and time. each electro cap has a certain lifespan usage, say 3000 to 5000 hrs. although you can still use this provided that the cap can still charge/discharge, reliability factor is now a big factor.

as to identifying parts like transistors, diodes etc., you can do a google search for it.

moz