"feels like" temperature

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ok, so I'm half-swing back around to buying into the "feels like" temperature.

I understand that it is an indicator of factors other than temperature that may make or break my day. I understand that it is useful, and not all for drama as I originally stated.

I still do not believe that it should be expressed as a temperature, because the "feels like" temperature really doesn't "feel like" it states, given who you are and where you are from.

I really don't have a better idea to express the effects of wind and humidity's effect on temperature, so I guess I'll let the weather man off the hook on this one; even though he can't predict the weather.

When I was in the military, they expressed it as "black flag" or "red flag", etc. - if the black flag was flying, you had better be hydrating. That's a pretty good nonconfusing system.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Current temperature in Houston, TX. 104°F (40°C) "feels like" 118°(48°C)
friggin HOT.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's one that actually works. When it's 87 F degrees and the humidity is low, like 55%, I barely break a sweat loading my truck. When it's 92 F and the heat index is 99, I know that I will reach a point where sweat will not fix the problem. On a day like that, I plan on where I can get into air conditioning before I dehydrate and go into heat stroke. With a heat index of 99, sitting in the shade waiting to cool off doesn't work.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yeah I get it now. I was stupid for a while but now I see the light.

anyways, on a day like today, 104 or 118 its still brutal. I didn't even want to get out of the car and walk across the parking lot to work. I am sooo glad I don't work outdoors anymore; I don't know how I did it before.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The month of july ... has been 100+ days in the DFW area. There was a report on the 4:00 pm news that showed the roadways at 136 degrees.

If you watch tonight's Rangers game, I'm sure they will show you the temperature on the field.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Replying to post #24,

You were younger, and probably skinnier. (More surface area per pound of meat.)

Last edited:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
It's a heat wave here too, breaking 100 in the day most of last week, and at night it only cooled off to 90. Makes me wish my car had AC.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's a heat wave here too, breaking 100 in the day most of last week, and at night it only cooled off to 90. Makes me wish my car had AC.
My truck doesn't have AC either. I can tough it out, but my wife can't take the heat. She's immediately flushed when she gets inside and after about a 5min ride she stops sweating and turns pale. looks like she going to die. she's preggo and I don't want a trip to the grocery store to cause a miscarriage so I sucked up my pride and borrowed my mother's car until winter gets here (or I get my finances in order, whichever comes first).

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
woke up at 4:30am, 2 hrs before sunrise, temp was 82 degrees, "feels like" 95. That's just wrong. bad way to start the day