Fault finding RGB led strip lighting

Donald Miller

Joined Dec 17, 2021
Hi. My kitchen lights are RGB led strips operated through an DMX Controller (not branded) with remote control. Lights started to stick on one colour and could only be switched on and off using the remote controller. We mucked about with it and strip does not light at all. We wondered if batteries in remote were flat and changed them. Now although power led is on when power connected and signal light illuminates when remote is pressed led strips do not illuminate at all. found that power was wrongly connected ie brown to - and black to +. we are still getting 12v output from DMX indicating the power supply and DMX is undamaged? How can I test the led strip?
How do I order a replacement strip to try it?

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
These RGB LED strips are ubiquitous all working nearly the same. 4 wires run thru them, a positive power, and three lines one for each color that turn on when connected to the negative which is what those "drain open-circuit outputs" do. By making that connection very fast over and over the LEDs can be dimmed.

Anyway, if your power supply is still working connect the supply positive to the strip power (marked "+12V"? fuzzy picture) and the negative to any of the other three connections. That should turn each color on full intensity.

If you gave the DMX controller reverse power I would suspect that is the failed link of the chain. Unless you are driving a very very long strip of LEDs it is possible that controller is overkill. A 5 Amp rating is not much as it is the power supply doing the heavy lifting and a $10 cheapie Chinese "works with Alexa" controller may well work too.

Donald Miller

Joined Dec 17, 2021
These RGB LED strips are ubiquitous all working nearly the same. 4 wires run thru them, a positive power, and three lines one for each color that turn on when connected to the negative which is what those "drain open-circuit outputs" do. By making that connection very fast over and over the LEDs can be dimmed.

Anyway, if your power supply is still working connect the supply positive to the strip power (marked "+12V"? fuzzy picture) and the negative to any of the other three connections. That should turn each color on full intensity.

If you gave the DMX controller reverse power I would suspect that is the failed link of the chain. Unless you are driving a very very long strip of LEDs it is possible that controller is overkill. A 5 Amp rating is not much as it is the power supply doing the heavy lifting and a $10 cheapie Chinese "works with Alexa" controller may well work too.
Thank you for your reply I’ll try to power up the strips by passing the controller first. Was thinking of upgrading to a voice controlled system so I’ll maybe try your suggestion of a $10 Alexa operated model no matter what the outcome.
Thanks
Donald from Scotland