FAO nsaspook - speed of electricity

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
So your failure could have been avoided had there not been a poor inspection regime.

This is definitely an engineering issue not a physics one, but well done for tracking it down.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So your failure could have been avoided had there not been a poor inspection regime.

This is definitely an engineering issue not a physics one, but well done for tracking it down.
I could blame the engineer who wrote the specs but failing to see a hidden connection on a shield that almost never gets removed would be a little much as the yearly PM on this machine takes a 4 man crew almost a week to perform and re-qualify for production.

I did it so yes it's an engineering issue with a physics connection from one failure to the cause.

This is similar type machine: http://www.fabsurplus.com/sdi_catalog/salesItemDetails.do?id=55224

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
nsaspook, thank you for the interesting discussion, but I think we are moving away from the topic so I would be happy to continue discussing inspection and maintenance regimes with you, just not in this thread.

However I think we are pretty well agreed about the speed of electricity and its ramifications.