Failed IC - Any VLSI or IC Fab experts??

jrz126

Joined Sep 17, 2008
I've been having some issues with 14013 Dual D-flipflop failing. Unfortunately this is work related so i cant give very many details.
The devices have been analyzed under a microscope. but the supplier is only saying arcing and overheating.

I took a VLSI class in college, but that was a very long time ago. Looks like it is a positive output transistor that failed?

Here's the datasheet:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC14013B-D.PDF

Hoping someone with more insight into IC die failures can comment if theyve seen this before? and if it is an internal IC defect or something external caused it.

Attachments

jrz126

Joined Sep 17, 2008
That output pin drives the base of an NPN transistor through a 9k resistor.
It also goes to a test header used for during manufacturing test. The pin is right next to the -15V supply test pin. The IC runs on +15V and Gnd, would the same damage occur if the output pin was shorted to -15V supply?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the bottom layer of the dyw acts like an insulator between the chip carrier and the dye., if reverse connected, it causes damage by conducting.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I suggest you add a 20kΩ resistor, either to the 14013 output or the -15V test output to reduce the fault current to a safe level if the two pins are accidentally shorted together.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
... would the same damage occur if the output pin was shorted to -15V supply?
You tell me... What is the current if this happens? Does that current exceed the worst case maximum current of the device specification?

Hint - most ic output stages are protected in the following manner... either on purpose or parasitically (usually parasitically) - your device doesn't specify specifically, but if you have a few spares you can check for this sort of relationship with most quality DMMs.
upload_2015-12-16_4-4-28.png

The datasheet also says this:
upload_2015-12-16_4-11-7.png