Extremely weird monitor power issue: What causes this?

Kenji Rapzilla

Joined Oct 23, 2016
Okay, so I have this extremely weird problem with my ACER flatscreen monitor. I'm not exactly trying to fix it so much as understand how, from an electronics standpoint, something could possibly function like this.

When my power goes out and is restored, my monitor won't turn back on normally. I have to unplug it, and walk it around my house, plugging it into various outlets until it finds one it likes. Then it will turn on and work perfectly again in any outlet until the power is cut off from it again.

I've tried waiting up to 30 minutes and plugging it back into the original outlet. No dice. It needs a new outlet (could even be in the same room) before it goes back to the original. I've had this monitor in multiple locations too, so it's not the wiring in my specific house or the specific outlet I've been using.

Basically, somehow, my monitor "knows" it's been plugged into a different outlet, and furthermore seems to have some sort of preference for outlets after being rudely cut off from its source of power.

So what's the deal?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Okay, so I have this extremely weird problem with my ACER flatscreen monitor. I'm not exactly trying to fix it so much as understand how, from an electronics standpoint, something could possibly function like this.

When my power goes out and is restored, my monitor won't turn back on normally. I have to unplug it, and walk it around my house, plugging it into various outlets until it finds one it likes. Then it will turn on and work perfectly again in any outlet until the power is cut off from it again.

I've tried waiting up to 30 minutes and plugging it back into the original outlet. No dice. It needs a new outlet (could even be in the same room) before it goes back to the original. I've had this monitor in multiple locations too, so it's not the wiring in my specific house or the specific outlet I've been using.

Basically, somehow, my monitor "knows" it's been plugged into a different outlet, and furthermore seems to have some sort of preference for outlets after being rudely cut off from its source of power.

So what's the deal?
Granting the accuracy of your observations -- I should think it would be obvious that, owing to component failure/'alteration', the monitor's PSU has become 'voltage' and temperature sensitive -- Please be advised that 'finicky startup' is a not-uncommon presentation of 'wonky' SMPS circuits...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Over the next several months, Plot the sequence of selected outlets.

There could be other things at work here.

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Weird electrical issues in the house can be caused by a bad "neutral"/"common" (usually white wire in the U.S.). Provided the PSU doesn't have something wrong with it (e.g. loose component that is position sensitive), perhaps there is something wrong with your house wiring? It likely won't fix anything, but it doesn't take too long to check with an outlet tester

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Perhaps it's the physical motion of the monitor that's the important variable since I don't see how there could be any significant difference in outlets (especially since it works properly at one outlet and then won't at the same outlet).
Have you tried the old "thump fix" (thump various locations on the monitor while it is plugged in to see if that will bring it up)?

FWIW I've observed line EMF differences of as little as 5V 'make or break' uneventful startup of SMPS circuits 'plagued' by faulty components (especially leaky or open Caps) -- @Kenji Rapzilla: As an experiment -- following 'integrity verification' of your building's wiring -- you might try varying the monitor's supply EMF by ±10% via a variac... Note, however, that temperature almost certainly 'plays a role' (in the presentation of the malfunction) as well...

Best regards and good luck!
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015

So what's the deal?
Kenji Rapzilla I had Eizo monitor that only worked during high demand hours cuz bad psu wouldn't turn on if line voltage was higher than 115v! So I say significance of different outlets can be just voltage difference from different branch circuit loading:)

I have a TV that needs occasional percussive maintenance but not often enough for it to be worth doing anything about it.
AlbertHall UR funny but being serious I say bad connections need investigation cuz of fire hazard:eek:!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
AlbertHall UR funny but being serious I say bad connections need investigation cuz of fire hazard:eek:!
If I thought it was in the power part of the circuit I would agree. In my case it just comes up with funny colours on part of the screen so i am sure it is in the signal circuits somewhere so there is no fire risk.