Extending a Wiring Harness

Ralo

Joined May 4, 2018
Hello, I hope I’m in the right place. I’d like to extend a wiring harness for a digital display that uses 18 gauge wiring. I want to relocate the digital display from my RV generator to inside the RV. I need to be able to disconnect the harness at the generator and again at the display. What is the best way to do this? Note the soldering is my least preferred method.

Thanks in advance,

Roland

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello, I hope I’m in the right place. I’d like to extend a wiring harness for a digital display that uses 18 gauge wiring. I want to relocate the digital display from my RV generator to inside the RV. I need to be able to disconnect the harness at the generator and again at the display. What is the best way to do this? Note the soldering is my least preferred method.

Thanks in advance,

Roland
You would probably be better off identifying the data transfer format and doubling up the display for inside. There could be problems with disturbing the one where it is.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How often do you need to disconnect?

If almost never and assuming there are a multitude of wires I would simply use something like individual male/female quick disconnect crimp contacts available at any autoparts or hardware store...
If more often I would look into a multiposition connector of some sort like a circular connector available at any online electronic supplier like digikey/mouser/newark and even some available on Amazon/Ebay.

Number of positions (# of wires) and frequency of mating cycles would be needed to provide exact recommendations beyond whats already stated..