Exsisting HVAC knob with LCD screen to control PWM Boost controller

turboka24det

Joined Dec 12, 2016
I am new to all this and was wondering where i can find info regarding how to use a HVAC knob with an LCD screen built into it, to control a PWM Boost controller for my project car?
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

turboka24det

Joined Dec 12, 2016
I would like to use the rotary style knob shown in my first post with the LCD screen to send a signal to a 4-port boost controller, which will increase and decrease boost pressure while still keeping the digital readout.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
First, figure out what model of car this knob is installed in. Then buy one knob with the circuit board that controls the display. Then figure out how the circuit works and find some place to connect to the amplitude display and use that signal to control the boost controller.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Having worked on the automotive supplier for many years, I will tell you that most, if not all, of the automotive electronic devices are custom-made.

Having said that, #12's advice is a sage one: determine what the control output looks like.
I will make it simple to you, the usual formats are:
-An analog output voltage, usually up to 5V
-A PWM waveform
-A serial bus of some sort.

By attaching a scope on the output you will determine what it is.
An analog voltage or a PWM waveform should be fairly straightforward to understand and interface to your circuit.

The serial bus is another matter. It could be CANBus, which with the help of a logic analyzer you may decode it. Likewise if it is RS232. But if it is a proprietary serial protocol, then it will be harder to decode.