Exponential function and equations

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello
Exponential function that take argument any return value of e raised to power x
F(t) =e^t
F(0)=1,f(1)=2.718, f(2)=7.38,f(3)=20....etc
It can be seen function is raising exponentials. I understand exponentials function. But I am having problem how they relates to electronics. How voltage and current signal represent as exponential function. So I trt to understand, look below example charging current flowing in series RL circuit as exponentials function over time
IMG_20160905_164528.jpg

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure what your question is. An exponential function with a negative exponent will asymptotically approach 0 as time goes to ∞. If you subtract an exponential function with a negative exponent from a constant, like 1, then the result will approach 1 as time goes to ∞. An exponential function with a positive exponent represents a system that is unstable and has the potential to destroy itself.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I'm not sure what your question is. An exponential function with a negative exponent will asymptotically approach 0 as time goes to ∞. If you subtract an exponential function with a negative exponent from a constant, like 1, then the result will approach 1 as time goes to ∞. An exponential function with a positive exponent represents a system that is unstable and has the potential to destroy itself.
Have you seen the formula in last line? There is formula for current, that flow in RL series circuit. It is exponentials function. I don't understand that formula. I can solve questions but I don't understand concept behind the formula

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
At t=0 the value of the exponential function is 1, and 1 -1 = 0 so that is the value of the current at t=0. At some large value of t the value of the exponential is very nearly equal to 0, and so the value of 1 - ε, where ε is a very small number, is just a little less than 1 which is the current at that very large value of t.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You're close. Can you solve: e - IR - L•dI/dt = 0 for I = ƒ(t)?
Consider the boundary conditions when the switch opens or closes, when t=0 or t=infinity

Hint: Separate the dI and I, and dt terms so you can integrate them separately.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
You're close. Can you solve: e - IR - L•dI/dt = 0 for I = ƒ(t)?
What do you mean by e, I think voltage correct. Please confirm
_20160905_231342.JPG
My mistake small i and capital I are same things

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Right, so you can rearrange the result to:
I(t) = I(0) • [1 -exp(-t•R/L)]

You can further define the time constant tau as L/R, giving:
I(t) = I(0) • [1 -exp(-t/tau)]

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Right, so you can rearrange the result to:
I(t) = I(0) • [1 -exp(-t•R/L)]

You can further define the time constant tau as L/R, giving:
I(t) = I(0) • [1 -exp(-t/tau)]
I am confused,
We have equations
I(t) =V/R +e ^-(R /L) *t
How it become I(t) =I(0).[1-e ^-(R /L)*t]?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My bad. You had an earlier error I missed. I was going to draw this out for you but I found a nice exposition of it online.

See here.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
My bad. You had an earlier error I missed. I was going to draw this out for you but I found a nice exposition of it online.

See here.
I looked that is good. Also I have equation for i(t) given in text book. and I can find out voltage across resistor and inductor. Look at attached page

Attachments