Explosion In Tianjin, China

@GopherT

Your points are well taken! --- My incredulity owes to the seemingly ridiculous disparity of the reported vs the anticipatable death toll (as regards the recent event).

There was also some advance notice that an issue was about to happen as the first fire broke out...
A very good point! And, perhaps, the most significant 'saving grace' --- Even so -- I can't imagine the toll remaining below the '1,000 mark' -- and that ignoring sequelae of exposure to airborne toxins...:(

Best regards
HP

How much matter could you get in a trailer,do the math.
IIRC "Juggernauts" (aka "Jugs" a.k.a. "Semis" aka "eighteen wheelers" but in any event "semi-apportioned tractor trailer transports") are specified at a maximum trailer weight of 50 (short) tons = 100,000 lbs ~ 45360kg

Hence ~4,08*10^21 J ~ 975,143 Mt TNT equivilent (Rest)

'Tho of what possible use or interest this info is utterly escapes me:confused::confused::confused:

Best regards
HP

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I was just moving to Las Vegas when the Pepcon explosion happened. My travel trailer was 3 miles from ground zero. It tore Henderson up but the most impressive thing I remember is a steel building about two miles from the blast. The steel skin was pressure formed on to the steel frame structure and every frame member was clearly visible from the outside.

Only two people died, the owner who was credited for saving his employees and the marshmallow plant next door and a janitor who stayed to help.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
In addition to creating a fishing and swimming lake, it also created a huge toxic dump and the whole place may be off limits for years -if not indefinitely.

I wonder where this one ranks with the explosion at the Union Carbide plant in Bopohl, India?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In addition to creating a fishing and swimming lake, it also created a huge toxic dump and the whole place may be off limits for years -if not indefinitely.
This is China, in a few years the place will be paved over with new houses and schools with the toxic waste reclaimed, reprocessed and sold on the market for a tidy profit.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Unfortunately, you're right.

China and all the other high population countries are well known for "Disposable People" and fatalities are just part of the cost of doing business.

I wonder where this one ranks with the explosion at the Union Carbide plant in Bopohl, India
IIRC that was more in the nature of a leak (secondary to a ruptured scrubber or some such) -- and, I might add, a perfect (albeit tragic) illustration of the liabilities attendant to high population density...

Best regards
HP

Last edited: