Explore other ways to use NiMH charger

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Hello friends, i have an old kodak rechargeable battery charger but nowadays we mostly have Li-ion batteries. I had got this charger with a digital camera. It clearly states to use only NiMH batteries, but i don't have any NiMH batteries and so this charger isn't in use since a long time. I am sure its in a working condition but the steel connectors are rusted. I remember the green light used to turn on when atleast two batteries were kept for charging.

Its output is mentioned as below..
DC 2.8V 220ma for AA size
DC 2.8V 100ma for AAA size

Please take a look at the attached pictures. As i am not going to charge any NiMH batteries is there anything else i can use it for? Could i use the transformer for some other purpose? Or is there any changes i could make and use it for something else?

I just want to make it useful for some other purpose. I request for your advice and suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
We can read nothing of the words on the metal plate photo, which might be useful.
It is possible that the transformer can be used with a bridge rectifier to get a voltage high enough to charge a single lithium cell, but what you would have is an uncontrolled single cell charger. An adjustable voltage regulator could be added to allow correctly slow-charging lithium batteries while you supervised, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I'd save the green LEDs and chuck the rest. Most of those cheap chargers only have a timer if you're lucky, and tend to overcharge batteries and kill them prematurely.

PeteHL

Joined Dec 17, 2014
There are some instances where the NiMH battery might be a better choice than Li-Ion. However it looks like your Kodak charger doesn't regulate charging at all, and according to the article that I'm linking to, the life of the NiMH battery can fairly easily be reduced by unsophisticated charging. You could perhaps convert the components of the charger to a low voltage power supply suitable for TTL logic circuits, 5V.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-408-charging-nickel-metal-hydride

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
PHL is correct. I have seen an expensive battery pack ruined by leaving it on a wall-wart charger too long. Not just reduced capacity, but stone dead permanently

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Well, that camera is no more and haven't had any need for NiMH batteries since many years. I don't think i will need it as i don't have such devices. if ever needed then i can use non-rechargeable AA/AAA size batteries which are mostly used in wall clocks or TV's remote control now a days. This charger wasn't used since few years as i dont have the camera or the NiMH batteries.

Anyways, i checked the transformer and it shows output between 5V and 7.8V. i don't think it will be useful as it feels a bit bulky. Maybe later i will strip it and get the wiring out, its inside brass wires could be useful. Green Leds are saved.

Initially i had thought that it could be useful somehow or do something with it, but now it doesn't seem worth it to put much efforts in it.

Thank you @Dodgydave @MisterBill2 @bassbindevil @PeteHL @Externet

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can also somewhat rejuvenate some of the non-rechargable battery types, but the recharge does not last long, and there are potential hazards in doing it. Overheating and bursting are the potential difficulties, but a minute or two can provide a bit of use of a cell that is no longer quite able to deliver enough. So the temperature should be monitored constantly while recharging the non-rechargable cells. Close attention is mandatory!!!

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
You can also somewhat rejuvenate some of the non-rechargable battery types, but the recharge does not last long, and there are potential hazards in doing it. Overheating and bursting are the potential difficulties, but a minute or two can provide a bit of use of a cell that is no longer quite able to deliver enough. So the temperature should be monitored constantly while recharging the non-rechargable cells. Close attention is mandatory!!!
I agree, for a minute or two it will just give a small boost like recharge and it won't last.. but normally we don't try to recharge it.. it is way cheaper to buy.. this one, Eveready AAA size, pack of 10 costs about $1.40 .. this is very common in here.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In my locality those cheap batteries are not available in most stores. All they sell is packs of MUCH HIGHER PRICED batteries that seem to be over a dollar each in the 25 piece package.
And at 4 AM on a Sunday morning it is not likely that they will be available anywhere for whatever price. And those sold at the All Night Gas Station may not be any better than the weak ones on hand.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
@MisterBill2 .. oh! So you cant buy just 1 battery? ... In here, india.. its easily available everywhere and most common use is wall clock or remote control of TV, home theatre, toys and so on... Its also just lying around in the house.. sometimes when we need to replace, we try the old ones and it may work again for a day... AA size, the smaller ones are least used, AAA size is a bit larger and its regularly used. See, i have attached a photo of AAA size battery in a wall clock. In case of wall clock and remote, it works for about 2 years or even longer in many cases... Eveready is a good brand, there are other brands also available for cheaper price and quality.

Attachments

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
So you DO have items other than the camera

wall clock or remote control of TV, home theatre, toys and so on...
using cells that could be recharged instead of trashing. But you prefer to trash a working device instead. If you are after electronics parts, there is plenty in abundant discarded equipment to canibalize. Last resource, sell it to whoever can give it good use.

Batteries in other countries are now a shameless ripoff at over $1 each.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
So you DO have items other than the camera using cells that could be recharged instead of trashing. But you prefer to trash a working device instead. If you are after electronics parts, there is plenty in abundant discarded equipment to canibalize.
For most devices we use AA or AAA size cells which are not rechargeable because its cheaper. When needed, we easily find spare in the house and its easily available anytime at almost every shop. It also works for a long time like 2 years or more than that, until then the charger would be misplaced. I mean to say thats the normal thing here, like that's how people think and go about it.

Normally everyone one here, we don't use rechargeable cells of AA or AAA size because sellers supply non-rechargeable cells with toys and devices while we buy it. In rare cases, its not included. A rechargeable cell is costly and then we will also need to buy a separate charger for it.

Rarely i have seen few photo shop people who MAY use rechargeable cells for their digital camera. Those are the people who have shop to print passport size photos. Its their primary business. We go there to get passport sized photos printed. They may use rechargeable cells. Rest, nobody uses AA/AAA size rechargeable cells for any other use.

I would prefer to use rechargeable cell and also keep its charger if i had to change cell or charge it atleast once or twice every month. But we don't need it that often so we prefer the cheaper option to buy the non rechargeable cells.

And i preferred to trash the NiMH charger because it wasn't useful to me and no one would buy it as it was too old, the connectors were rusted too. Moreover i cant even charge other Li-ion cells with it. I have plenty of unknown circuits, damaged or broken electronics, half of my room is full of it. So one by one i am coming to it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
@MisterBill2 .. oh! So you cant buy just 1 battery? ... In here, india.. its easily available everywhere and most common use is wall clock or remote control of TV, home theatre, toys and so on... Its also just lying around in the house.. sometimes when we need to replace, we try the old ones and it may work again for a day... AA size, the smaller ones are least used, AAA size is a bit larger and its regularly used. See, i have attached a photo of AAA size battery in a wall clock. In case of wall clock and remote, it works for about 2 years or even longer in many cases... Eveready is a good brand, there are other brands also available for cheaper price and quality.
NO, at least not at any venue that I am familiar with. Big packages with lots of batteries and a high price. Ni, I do not live in India, nor even on that continent. What is for certain is that different parts of the world are different, and I offer no criticism of any of them.
If they were all the same it would be rather dismal and very boring. Live and let live.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
@MisterBill2 .. i agree that different parts of the world are different.

And if we can't buy just one or two cells then i think buying the rechargeable cells, spare ones too with its charger seems to be the only best option.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The Eveready "heavy Duty" batteries in India use obsolete carbon zinc chemistry, like the Super Heavy Duty batteries from China.
Eveready was started by the American company that is called Energizer today. The batteries made by Eveready in India are not available in North America.

Carbon zinc batteries have a shelf life of only 3 years. Modern Energizer alkaline batteries have a shelf life of 10 years.

PeteHL

Joined Dec 17, 2014
The problem in the United States is that there is only a very little proper disposal (or recycling if that is possible) of all types of battery, with the exception of large lead acid batteries. Just about every battery that currently exists is hazardous waste. One day humanity will wake up and realize all of the water and land are contaminated and nothing can be done about it. The primary battery is probably cheap in India because a lot of consumers realize that these primary (alkaline zinc) batteries are a real hazard when they are thrown out and that's what is happening to the overwhelming majority of them.

A rechargeable battery is being put to use for a much longer time than primary and so I encourage the use of rechargeable batteries instead of primary (single use) whenever and wherever possible.