Evoke aux speaker wiring

britech

Joined Aug 5, 2022
Hi
I know this might sound simple . Does anyone know why the Evoke Pure 1s aux speaker uses a stero 3.5mm Jack for achieving stero when it pluged into the aux socket The radio is mono and the speaker cable is two conductor. How is the plug wired to switch the radio to true stero.?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi
I know this might sound simple . Does anyone know why the Evoke Pure 1s aux speaker uses a stero 3.5mm Jack for achieving stero when it pluged into the aux socket The radio is mono and the speaker cable is two conductor. How is the plug wired to switch the radio to true stero.?
Just curious. How do you know the output is stereo? Or is it still mono sent to two different outputs (speakers)?

britech

Joined Aug 5, 2022
Just curious. How do you know the output is stereo? Or is it still mono sent to two different outputs (speakers)?
I think I read somewhere it was true stero. It has allways puzzled me I have an evoke speaker with no wire attached but all the pictures! I see have a twin cable with stero Jack. Why do they use a stero when mono would normally suffice and how does the radio achieve true stero it needs twin amps and associated circuitry to decode the signal. Or is it just mono

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
From a CNET review:
Though it's a capable DAB receiver, you'll only ever get monaural sound from its single 76mm speaker. An additional speaker is sold separately to bump the output up to stereo status -- this unconnected second speaker would somewhat detract from the portability of an all-in-one setup. Stereo output is available through the headphone or line-out sockets, located to the
So the radio is stereo, but has only a single builtin speaker. This was likely a tradeoff for portability. They apparently sell an additional speaker to get stereo.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The radio is stereo , it gives out mono when only the internal speaker is on, when an aux speaker is used or headphones it diverts to stereo.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
There are many little portable "stereo" audio systems available that produce only mono because their speakers are too close together to make stereo.
The 76mm speaker is only 3" like in a cheap clock radio.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A single speaker will not produce stereo. Using a 3 conductor connector similar to what is used in a stereo system does not cause stereo to happen.
I suggest trying with a stereo headphone to see if stereo is even present at the connector.
And understand that not all advertising is truthful and honest.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A single speaker will not produce stereo. Using a 3 conductor connector similar to what is used in a stereo system does not cause stereo to happen.
I suggest trying with a stereo headphone to see if stereo is even present at the connector.
And understand that not all advertising is truthful and honest.
See my post #5.

britech

Joined Aug 5, 2022
Hi
Thanks for all off your replys. I think I might not have explained my problem very clearly .The radio is only giving out mono from both speakers not stereo when the aux speaker is plugged in both are working but only in mono ie no seperation or panning. The aux speaker is terminated with stereo 3.5mm Jack plug. My problem was why 3 connections body ring and tip would be used. I have a speaker but it is not wired but have seen photos of the speaker cable terminated with a stero jack I have since with experimention wired it as follows. Positive tip .Negative body Ring no connection. And now have true stero. I presume the ring must be used for switching. Thanks again for your replies. Britech