Ever had food arc and explode in the microwave?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I make habanero salsa from time-to-time. The grocery store only sells them in a big bag which is way too much for a single batch of salsa. So I started keeping them in the freezer. The wife wanted a single habanero for something she was making so I pulled one out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost it. Just a couple seconds in there and I started to hear the ominous "wwwuuuuahhhh" of HV arc; I turned around to see the biggest arc and then explosion. I opened the microwave expecting to find some metal in there; nothing. The pepper itself arced (its stem specifically), as if it was metal. I googled the phenomenon on my phone and found this video, which is just what I saw:

(skip to 0:50)

I have found multiple explanations online; high iron content, microwave resonating in certain-sized food, and more.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-certain-vegetables-arc-in-the-microwave.299877/

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have found multiple explanations online; high iron content, microwave resonating in certain-sized food, and more.
Wow! I don't recall ever seeing that happen with any food. We have some metal-rimmed plates that someone forgets about from time to time, and they light up like the 4th of July.

I think you need fairly high conductivity and minimal moisture to achieve that high current in the stem. In other words it has to resemble a metal prong. How that happens in a stem is a mystery to me.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Now that I think about it, wouldn't the Arc increase load on the Magnetron and the circuit Amperage. Small Micro's run at or about 9 Amps but if he would have allowed it to continue I think it would have blown the fuse in the Micro or a Breaker, providing it didn't smoke the Mag.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for sharing that, it was really pretty cool (or hot I guess). One current rage around here is the "Ghost Peppers" which can be frozen and then thawed. I wonder what they would do.

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I once blew up a microwave oven by placing an egg inside it and cooking it for two minutes... back then I didn't know that the shell would reflect the microwaves and literally burn the magnetron... the egg stood still for 5 seconds after the microwave turned off... and then it exploded with a loud splat! ... I was only 14 at the time and I didn't know better... or where to hide from my angry parents!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Now that I think about it, wouldn't the Arc increase load on the Magnetron and the circuit Amperage. Small Micro's run at or about 9 Amps but if he would have allowed it to continue I think it would have blown the fuse in the Micro or a Breaker, providing it didn't smoke the Mag.

kv
Probably so. Microwave still works though thank goodness.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately the microwave came along well after my knife in the toaster days so my formative days were over. I did once put a ceramic cup in there which had a sort of metal rim on it. This afforded a micro fireworks display as the rim arced. :)

Ron

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Small hole in top of egg......and toothpick prick to center of yolk. Now zap it. Might need to adjust power.
The cooking will continue after radiation.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The way I've heard it, if one wants to boil an egg in a microwave, it's best to place the egg in a water-filled cup. It makes lots of sense...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
When I was a kid in parochial school the nuns said I was a bad egg, but I could swim.

Ron
I was a bad egg in Boy Scouts, poor Troop leader always had his hands full when me my best friend always teaming up sneaking Alcohol, Cigarettes. They would search our bags before a trip and could never find it. I would let them search mine then remove the goods in my friends pack and put it in mine. he he

I almost didn't get my eagle because I can't float, I was in the pool for 5 hrs straight. The leader couldn't believe their eye's as my legs slowly went down until I was straight up and sinking. Although can tread water, the problem was I lifted weights since I was 8 years old and my calf and Thigh muscles were and are well developed.

While in the pool they attempted to see how much weight displacement was in my legs by placing their hand under my feet, they ended up giving it to me for the effort of being in the pool for so long while listening to them bark out commands. Finally admitting it was the first time they had ever seen it happen. lol

kv

Edit: One time we put it in a good kid bag straight away, then retrieved it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I almost didn't get my eagle because I can't float, I was in the pool for 5 hrs straight. The leader couldn't believe their eye's as my legs slowly went down until I was straight up and sinking. Although can tread water, the problem was I lifted weights since I was 8 years old and my calf and Thigh muscles were and are well developed.
As I drift off topic. To this day I remember a guy in Marine Corps boot camp. They gave you some gear and tossed you into a pool. You had to thread water or simply stay afloat for I think it was 45 min. WE has this guy named McCollough who would immediately sink. The kid had the buoyancy of a rock. He would go verticle, sink and could literally walk the bottom till they used a long pole with a hook and would yank him out. God knows he tried. :) Some people simply don't float.

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
As I drift off topic. To this day I remember a guy in Marine Corps boot camp. They gave you some gear and tossed you into a pool. You had to thread water or simply stay afloat for I think it was 45 min. WE has this guy named McCollough who would immediately sink. The kid had the buoyancy of a rock. He would go verticle, sink and could literally walk the bottom till they used a long pole with a hook and would yank him out. God knows he tried. :) Some people simply don't float.

Ron
I bet he was all muscle and had very little body fat...

Last edited: