EU Brexit - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Welcome to the welfare state, :)

In most western countries, if you pay taxes and follow the law, you are 2nd class citizen and no one represents you.
Yup, and a person can choose to ignore/accept it for what it is or get off their ass and do come thing to change it. The people that cry about it non-stop and don't do anything about are super annoying.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The power to vote some out gets diluted by those voting for .... to keep their benefits.
Those who keep whining hundreds of times per year just because their one biannual vote does not change anything don't know anything about time management or turning ideas into a reality. As I said, they have to get off of their asses and put as much effort into getting something done as they do whining.

If people are really pissed off about the current situation, is making daily posts to the off-topic section of an electronics website really an effective strategy to implement a new system?

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
Those who keep whining hundreds of times per year just because their one biannual vote does not change anything don't know anything about time management or turning ideas into a reality. As I said, they have to get off of their asses and put as much effort into getting something done as they do whining.

If people are really pissed off about the current situation, is making daily posts to the off-topic section of an electronics website really an effective strategy to implement a new system?
I don’t know why the op started this thread, maybe he is uncertain of which way he is going to vote, or simply wanted to solicit others opinions on the topic.

Either way no one is posting ‘here’ to try to change the situation we are in.

I don’t see any of the posts as whining, but if that’s your interpretation and you find it annoying there is a simple answer – don’t continue reading this thread.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I don’t know why the op started this thread
I started this thread because for people in the UK this is the single most important vote ever. Forget parliamentary votes, this is by far more important so I wanted to see what others thought about the situation. I already have made my mind up but wont be sharing my opinions because I don't want to cause arguments. I am however interested to see what others say. :D

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I started this thread because for people in the UK this is the single most important vote ever. Forget parliamentary votes, this is by far more important so I wanted to see what others thought about the situation. I already have made my mind up but wont be sharing my opinions because I don't want to cause arguments. I am however interested to see what others say. :D
The one risk I see is that the UK has been in the EU for some time and I'm not sure anyone understands all of the implications of leaving it. It could be a big shock to the economic system. There are people here that push simple tax structures. Same problem, but it sounds good.
From what I've heard so far it seems like the influx of migrants is what is bugging people. Might be safer to try and fix that problem.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The one risk I see is that the UK has been in the EU for some time and I'm not sure anyone understands all of the implications of leaving it. It could be a big shock to the economic system. There are people here that push simple tax structures. Same problem, but it sounds good.
From what I've heard so far it seems like the influx of migrants is what is bugging people. Might be safer to try and fix that problem.
I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if the deal allows for adjustments like that, and not an all-or-nothing situation.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I think a big problem with the leave campaign is that they claim they want to stop free movement yet be apart of the free market. If they want free market they will HAVE to allow free movement and now you are outside the EU with no influence with even more problems than before.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm surprised that at this late stage, I'm still on the fence!
On the Brexit side, I'm not exactly inspired by any of our leaders enough to think they would take the UK to a better place. Just look at them!
On the Brexin side, for whatever reason,there are a lot of experts (Yes, I know I said experts:) ) who are trying to get us to stay, and perhaps we shouldn't ignore them. Let's hope we can stem the influx of too many people to our overcrowded island.
So, I would vote out, but doubt I will.
C.

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
The government wield a lot of influential power in the city, and have coerced many institutions to back their scaremongering campaign.
The scare, doom and gloom preaching that is prevalent is an effective campaign as it influences the meek and mild to tow the political line, and to vote on “the perceived safe side”.

No one can tell what the future holds, we can only look back at history.

We do not need the free market, tariffs are reciprocal.
UK governments have made determined efforts to make London one of the leading financial centres, if we stay in, this will be taken over by Germany.
The safety of the UK is assured, we joined NATO many years ago, we do not need EC armed forces, nor is the sharing of security information going to stop as it is in the interests of all our safety.

People, especially politicians, are extremely self motivated, they campaign and persuade people to behave in a way that benefits them personally, many of the changes that have been made to our country would not have happened if they were serious about the welfare of the country.

On the immigration issue, I don’t think anyone has a problem with people coming to this country to live and work, the issue is that we are unable to take any control of the situation, unable to deport dangerous people and people that have come here illegally.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I think Mr Gandhi when speaking to the British Commissioner of India back in the late 1940''s expresses my feelings about the EU.

To paraphrase Mr Gandhi ...

"I beg you to accept that there is no people on Earth would not prefer their own bad Government to the good Government of an alien power."

E

Last edited:

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
you will far more likely to find con artists among those "experts" than regular people.
I hope you see that I used the term 'expert' loosely, and I'm also likely to find people that know more than me, amongst them. They are on both sides, so I don't dismiss them out of hand.
C.

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
Thursdays Daily Mail
George Osbourne, was forced to admit the information he has quoted and is displayed on a pro-EU poster of a pensioner holding open an empty purse with the words £32000 is what leaving Europe could cost the average pensioner.
He was forced to admit the information is incorrect and in fact the UK pension is triple protected in UK law and will always increase with the rate of inflation.
Who can you believe ?
The truth is they are all sleazy liars doing their damnedest to influence you into making what may possibly be the wrong decision !

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
="prof328, post: 1008268, member: 339045"]
I don't have a dog in this fight, but can't resist a good debate.
We do not need the free market, tariffs are reciprocal.
I guess I'm a free trader in your circumstance. I'm not sure how the currency's work between the UK and the mainland. But if everything is equal, tariffs just make your stuff more expensive to them and their stuff more expensive for you. If they can make your stuff it's not so good for you. I think the UK is a bit of a service nation, so that may not work out to well.
UK governments have made determined efforts to make London one of the leading financial centres, if we stay in, this will be taken over by Germany.
For my education... Why?
The safety of the UK is assured, we joined NATO many years ago, we do not need EC armed forces, nor is the sharing of security information going to stop as it is in the interests of all our safety.
Danger. There is a guy running for president in the US that thinks we could dump NATO. I don't think he will win, but stranger things have happened.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.