EU Brexit - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The declaration of independence set forth the standard to secede from the ruling government. However that document was declared null and void.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi to all UK members,

The vote stay/leave is coming up so yeah, prepare yourself for the onslaught of lies, deceit, shambles, celeb gossip from both sides and having to hear from the worst human beings alive!

Good luck,
Robin
Well, you managed to get commentary from the US, Mexico, Argentina and Croatia. All of the other polite UK members apparently listen to their parents and don't talk about religion or politics in public.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Well, you managed to get commentary from the US, Mexico, Argentina and Croatia. All of the other polite UK members apparently listen to their parents and don't talk about religion or politics in public.
A little late to the game I guess...

We have elected the sexiest PM in the world recently who does yoga poses at work. There are a number of separatist movements in Canada, particularly on the coasts.

The implementation of EU was interesting as it is everything that one particular person ever wanted (and more) achieved swiftly with no-one really noticing...

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Im sorry but I have to rage about this extract from the Independent:

"High-profile individuals on the opposing leave camp include actors Sir Michael Caine and Dame Joan Collins who told the Daily Mail recently “This is a tiny island. There are too many people coming in and we’re going to sink into the sea with so many people.”"

Ok, so your telling me that because these "high-profile" individuals sign a letter it means something? These are ACTORS who's qualifications are NOT politics or economics. A letter from The Bank Of England would have REAL meaning and weight. The actors opinions has as much worth as a random person in the street ... urggh :mad:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
If we vote to stay in the EU, it will be a green light to the EU parliament to impose even more rules and regulations on the UK people.

It may be 'risky' to go it alone, but we have managed pretty well for the past few hundred years.
If we do 'screw up' it will be due to our own failings, not down to a Federal State of Europe parliament.

E

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
An amendment like that would've avoided the Civil War, but only God knows if it would've been of benefit to the States as a whole. Think of it, regardless of the economical outcome of a secession, probably in some states slavery would still be legal!
Jefferson would have argued that no such amendment was needed as the founding documents (Declaration of Independence and Constitution) made clear that was the case. Thankfully, he lost that argument on the Bill or Rights, but not on the matter of secession. A Constitutional Convention could do such a thing, and the US is only a few state votes away from potentially having one -- depending on how the votes are counted.

@#12 I was not referring to just the present or even the 20th century. It goes back a long time. Even during Jackson's time there was enormous conflict between the EO and Congress. And of course President A. Johnson (right after Lincoln) was impeached.

John

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@#12 I was not referring to just the present or even the 20th century. It goes back a long time. Even during Jackson's time there was enormous conflict between the EO and Congress. And of course President A. Johnson (right after Lincoln) was impeached.
I restrained myself to referencing that part of history during which I existed. Other than that, I was miserable at History in school.
Something about not believing dates are important, there are so many of them! I know about a lot of the smart guys of science and what they did, but when??? That part simply doesn't lodge in my brain.:( The path of discovery is important. Who dunnit is a convenient method of referral. When it happened? Not so much. I have no idea how long Schrodinger's cat has been in limbo or how long Heisenberg has been uncertain.:D

The declaration of independence set forth the standard to secede from the ruling government. However that document was declared null and void.
Keep a close watch on the Constitution. I fear it is presently considered, "optional" and might suffer further degradation.

123Rowen

Joined Jun 3, 2016
If we vote to stay in the EU, it will be a green light to the EU parliament to impose even more rules and regulations on the UK people.

It may be 'risky' to go it alone, but we have managed pretty well for the past few hundred years.
If we do 'screw up' it will be due to our own failings, not down to a Federal State of Europe parliament.

E

Right UK is island. It's funny to look at islander's point of view from a continent ;p

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
What's wrong with actors? being an actor doesn't disqualify one from speaking his/her mind and doesn't mean s/he is stupid.

The only stupid people here are those who qualifies them or disqualifies them because they are actors.
I am saying that sources such as the Independent are implying that famous peoples opinions are correct. Those who are actually involved with the European Union and the Economy are going to have more weight in their arguments. For example, there was a letter written and signed by many manufacturing companies which has some real meaning. The other issue is that actors are well known and therefore people may have a tendency to believe what they say as opposed to what the professionals say.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
am saying that sources such as the Independent are implying that famous peoples opinions are correct
It may very well be true, either statistically or specifically in this case, that famous people opinions are true. But that shouldn't be because of their celebrity.

Or they are wrong because of their celebrity either.

Or because of their being a manufacturer.

Their views, just like the views of other citizens, should just solely in the merit of their views, not the messengers celebrity, social status, wealth, jobs, looks, sex or nationality, to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.