EU Brexit - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi to all UK members,

The vote stay/leave is coming up so yeah, prepare yourself for the onslaught of lies, deceit, shambles, celeb gossip from both sides and having to hear from the worst human beings alive!

Good luck,
Robin

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Its been 6 months since we had elections in my country and we still dont have standing government. Good thing is that GDP increased by 2.5% in that period .:p

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Its been 6 months since we had elections in my country and we still dont have standing government. Good thing is that BDP increased by 2.5% in that period .:p
That illustrates why I love it when congress is controlled by a party other than the one occupying the of executive office.

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
I find the following aspects wholly unacceptable :

Unable to deport foreign criminals, rapists and murderers because of Brussels court of human rights overriding UK courts.

Open borders where criminals and terrorists are free to come and go on false documentation seemingly at will.

Unlimited and uncontrolled immigration, the majority from poorer EU countries, simply to take advantage of our over generous benefits system.

Can we rely on our government to address any of the above – unlikely.

Will the above improve if we stay part of the EU – very unlikely.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
That illustrates why I love it when congress is controlled by a party other than the one occupying the of executive office.
Hola Dick, what I say is too obvious but, problem is when the controlling party thinks of himself as "The opposition" and then everything is a NO to the initiatives of the executive. Our politics has been plagued with that and now again we risk to repeat the attitude.

I find that frustrating, deceiving and I can see my life spent in expecting that to change.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
True, but in a democratic society, maybe that is a message from the electorate that they do not like what career politicians are doing, so they create a stalemate. That message may not be a designed one, but it happens nevertheless from the randomness of our process.

Considering the the EO, House of Representative, and Senate, it doesn't take much to cause at least one to be controlled by the opposition.

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, it reminds me a lot of the prisoner's dilemma of game theory. The outcome is suboptimal for all parties, but it's the best outcome possible when there is no cooperation. If all parties could cooperate, the superior outcome could be realized, but that just isn't going to happen. In the prisoner's dilemma, it's very ha beard to get the superior outcome (they are both set free) because each prisoner has to trust the other. That's just two people, and it's almost impossible.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I loved reading and trying to solve Martin Gardner's puzzles in SA. Takes me back more than a few years, though. But there was a lot of good stuff that paid dividends latter in life there.

John

Edit: One puzzle I remember most was that of a bunch of pirates on a ship. The solution was simply working backward from the final state. I used that myself later.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Ahhhh...for the good old days of SA; Mathematical Games and The Amateur Scientist columns. I might yet forgive Michael Shermer from replacing them but will never stop longing for their return.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Can we rely on our government to address any of the above – unlikely.
That's probably universally true. Speaks volume about the voters, however.

End of the day, I support the UK people, whatever the outcome is.

The European union will be the strongest if its members are free to leave.

The United States would be stronger if such a mechanism had existed in its constitution.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The United States would be stronger if such a mechanism had existed in its constitution
An amendment like that would've avoided the Civil War, but only God knows if it would've been of benefit to the States as a whole. Think of it, regardless of the economical outcome of a secession, probably in some states slavery would still be legal!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
An amendment like that would've avoided the Civil War, but only God knows if it would've been of benefit to the States as a whole.
I'm afraid allowing some of the United States to secede would be a terrible thing. Imagine Hawaii having to fight Japan in WW II without the whole U.S. fighting for them.:eek:

Or what if only New York and Connecticut sent supplies to England?

Or Texas decided to take over the rest of Mexico?

We are the 800 pound gorilla. We just need to get the leash on correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.