Ethernet Cable question: Does ANYONE know the answer to this? (Ethernet)

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
Hi I am new here and if I have made this thread in the wrong place please forgive me and let me know where to move it and I will do it.

I have a question I would like to ask regarding Internet Router & Ethernet cable. I have done a lot of research but still nobody has managed to give me a knowledgeable answer.

Basically, my problem is that my internet connection is VERY slow using WiFi, so I am trying to connect it using ethernet cable. However, my room is simply too far from my utilities room (where my router is located) to stretch a long wire all the way from there to my room. I have attached 2 pictures but I am not sure if other users can see them. The first picture is of my utilities room (Pic 1-utilities box). As you can see in the picture, there is a various ethernet sockets which can all be connected to different bedrooms in my house, they are all labeled "bed1" , "bed2, "bed3" etc. Now if you look at my second picture of my bedroom (pic2 - my bedroom) you can see i have a wall socket which has an ariel socket and a phone line socket next to it.

I am trying to plug my internet router to the utilities box via ethernet cable directly inside the ethernet socket labeled "bed2" (on utilities box) because that is my bedroom. Then from my bedroom, I want to plug a wire inside the phone socket from one end, and the other end of the wire I want to plug at the back of my pc or laptop through an ethernet socket. In this way, I hope to achieve a wired connection directly from my router to my bedroom PC/Laptop.
The problem is I cannot find a wire which has 1 end as an ethernet cable and the other end which fits a phone line socket.

Is there ANY POSSIBLE way I can do this? I have been trying to figure this out for months but I hardly know anything about any of this stuff. I am so stuck and my internet speed over wifi is terrible. I need a wired connection so bad...

Any help is very much appreciated because I really do not know what to do. I am completely lost. I have been trying to find a wire to make it work for so long but i cannot find anything that works.

Please help me.

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hard wire it in the phone socket end or change the socked to CAT5e Ethernet type.
The original set up I had used a phone jack in my computer room that terminated at the Phone company main termination, this was diverted for principally the ethernet.
If you have the wiring there already it should be simple.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

What is the signal strength in your room? Have you considered a WiFi repeater?

Phones only require 2 wires, an ethernet connection requires 8. The maximum number of wires that would be wired to a phone jack is 6 because they use RJ11 connectors, not RJ45 that can have 8.

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
Hard wire it in the phone socket end or change the socked to CAT5e Ethernet type.
The original set up I had used a phone jack in my computer room that terminated at the Phone company main termination, this was diverted for principally the ethernet.
If you have the wiring there already it should be simple.
Max.
I have no idea how to do it that's the problem. I have no skills with circuits whatsoever! It hurts me to hear you say its easy (lol) WHEN i have struggled with this for the past 9 months trying to find a way to solve it.

How do I hard wire it? What is a CAT5 and can I buy it and put it in somehow easily? I apologise for the questions its just I am a complete NEWBIE.

I am very grateful for your response

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

What is the signal strength in your room? Have you considered a WiFi repeater?

Phones only require 2 wires, an ethernet connection requires 8. The maximum number of wires that would be wired to a phone jack is 6 because they use RJ11 connectors, not RJ45 that can have 8.
Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately the signal is less than 2mbps. My area can only handle like 20mbps internet, we cant have fibre optic or anything like that round here. I have been so put off by this TERRIBLE wifi that i am absolutely not interested in any wifi solution. i just want to get rid of wifi once and for all and IF I EVER DO i am going to be so happy....

So basically because my phone socket only has 2 wires and it needs 8 for ethernet to work, i can't get wired connection like this in my room? That is so upsetting.. i hope its not true

I never expected for anyone to even reply let alone reply on the same day, i am very grateful for your time

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
This looks very interesting to me, I am going to read about it now. I think this is something i have been looking for, a EASY solution because i do not know hardly anything about wiring & circuits etc.

If this device can connect my to my router through a wire i will be very quick to buy it

thanks a lot for posting in my thread

128ITSH

Joined Jul 20, 2017
The first thing you should connect is between your router to the bed2 socket in the utility room, with a normal Ethernet cable, no problem.
Second thing is between the socket in your bedroom to your PC.
This is how I imagine the connections you need:

(Ethernet) (Ethernet through walls) (phone cable) (Ethernet)
Router <-----------------> wall socket (bed2) <-------------------------------------------> wall socket (in your room) <---------------> Adapter <-------------->PC
(This connection is already present)

But to know which phone cable and Adapter you need, we need to see the socket in your room open.

And if you wonder:
CAT5 is a standard for Ethernet cables, which allows a maximum of 100Mbps data transfer, if you think you will ever upgrade to a higher speed than this, use CAT6 which can go up to 1Gbps.

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
The first thing you should connect is between your router to the bed2 socket in the utility room, with a normal Ethernet cable, no problem.
Second thing is between the socket in your bedroom to your PC.
This is how I imagine the connections you need:

(Ethernet) (Ethernet through walls) (phone cable) (Ethernet)
Router <-----------------> wall socket (bed2) <-------------------------------------------> wall socket (in your room) <---------------> Adapter <-------------->PC
(This connection is already present)

But to know which phone cable and Adapter you need, we need to see the socket in your room open.

And if you wonder:
CAT5 is a standard for Ethernet cables, which allows a maximum of 100Mbps data transfer, if you think you will ever upgrade to a higher speed than this, use CAT6 which can go up to 1Gbps.

you are a legend! that's exactly what i am trying to do and HOPING (really hoping) i can pull it off. i just want to connect my router to the utilities box socket - bed2 via ethernet cable. then i want to be able to connect a wire from my room socket to my pc. i am sure thats the reason why i have the bloody socket in the first place!

i have attached pictures for you to see, please advise, i am very grateful for any help you can give me because i really need it, i am a completely NEWBIE at this

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So have you tried a Cat5 extension cable from wall outlet to PC?
Wherever the router is you need a cable to bed2 as done with Bed1
Max,

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Well that's just plain weird! 8 position jack at one end and 6 at the other.

Can you see any markings on the cable? What you are looking for is something like CATxx, where the likely possibilities are CAT3, CAT5, CAT5E or CAT6.

You can run 100BASE-TX Ethernet on two pairs, but the cable should be CAT5 or above. 100BASE-TX is 100 megabits per second.

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
So have you tried a Cat5 extension cable from wall outlet to PC?
Wherever the router is you need a cable to bed2 as done with Bed1
Max,
i just googled cat5 extension and this is something i am wishing will work because it looks very simple. But i cant tell if it will work for me or not because i dont understand all this CAT stuff. the one i want to buy says COMPATIBLE FOR CAT 5, cat6, cat6a, cat7 but i dont know which CAT mine is.

i am pretty much desperate so i am going to order it and just try it

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018

Can you see any markings on the cable? What you are looking for is something like CATxx, where the likely possibilities are CAT3, CAT5, CAT5E or CAT6.

You can run 100BASE-TX Ethernet on two pairs, but the cable should be CAT5 or above. 100BASE-TX is 100 megabits per second.
which cable should i be looking at? is there a way to tell which cat mine is? i am going to open it up again after i eat dinner and look properly for what you said (CATxx). thank you so much for your help and advise.

can you tell me where i can buy 100BASE-TX ? I just searched it on amazon but so many different things came up

thank you to all helping me solve this, i am very grateful to you all

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You may be able to get a cable with an RJ45 plug on one end and the type of phone connector used in your country. (Which you have not told us or put in your profile.) I found Googling "RJ45 phone connections" that Amazon (And probably other suppliers.) sell a cable to connect a british type phone connector to RJ45. This would only work if cat 5 (or cat 6) cable has been used in the building AND that the twisted pairs have been connected to the same pins as they would be for networking. Only 2 pairs will be used for your network connection.

Les.

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018

I can confirm the grey wire says on it: "SMC L30H CAT5E UTP"

im guessing it is CAT5 then, but what does the E mean? do i need to buy something specific for the "E"?

jacka.fox

Joined May 3, 2018
You may be able to get a cable with an RJ45 plug on one end and the type of phone connector used in your country. (Which you have not told us or put in your profile.) I found Googling "RJ45 phone connections" that Amazon (And probably other suppliers.) sell a cable to connect a british type phone connector to RJ45. This would only work if cat 5 (or cat 6) cable has been used in the building AND that the twisted pairs have been connected to the same pins as they would be for networking. Only 2 pairs will be used for your network connection.

Les.
Many thanks for your advise

the socket looks like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...ECAAQBA&biw=1366&bih=672#imgrc=fvSiJgcMi3tRpM: