Estimation skills - Question 1

How many Calories in a Cubic Light Year of Ice cream?

• 10^50

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 10^75

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 10^100

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • way more than 10^100

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@magnet18 So I'll just say the minimum volume that will collapse cuz otherwise it's transfinite infinitesimal number less than that to say the maximum volume that won't collapse.

From what you're saying ice cream's density is 8.26E11 kg per cubic km.

So The mass for inital sphere radius equal to schwarzschild radius is ~ 2.97E38 kg.
So radius is ~ 4.41E8 km.
So the initial volume of the smallest sphere of that ice cream that will collapse is 3.6E26 cubic km.

I used calculator but I say if it's right I did well anyhow cuz I did it in less than two minutes and no references to anything:cool:! It's just simultaneous solution but tricky so I say tnx for good question:D!
You've got homework to do (on the addendum), young lady!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No worries! - I received your PM:)

All the best
HP:)

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
P1010025.JPG tP1010028.JPG
This is one of the reference books that I considered a "bible" when I was qualifying. This is the 1976 edition which I bought to replace my original 1960 edition that mysteriously disappeared after a class.
I never had a calculator until 1979, so the 10" slide rule "Ruled ok lol"

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Here I thought you smart guys(and gals) were talking about this kind of "slide rule" -View attachment 103123
I hired a guy to install drywall who brought on a 10-foot 2x4 and set it in the middle of my basement like it was a holy object. When he or his son needed to add or subtract two numbers, they would use the stick like a number line. It had carefully scribed numbers from 0 to 120". They used their retractable tape measure to measure out how much distance they wanted to subtract from the bigger number or add to the smaller number. I offered a calculator but it turned out they were somehow associated Amish and said the calculator was forbidden. A low-tech non-sliding rule.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I hired a guy to install drywall who brought on a 10-foot 2x4 and set it in the middle of my basement like it was a holy object. When he or his son needed to add or subtract two numbers, they would use the stick like a number line. It had carefully scribed numbers from 0 to 120". They used their retractable tape measure to measure out how much distance they wanted to subtract from the bigger number or add to the smaller number. I offered a calculator but it turned out they were somehow associated Amish and said the calculator was forbidden. A low-tech non-sliding rule.
Did they arrive in a horse-drawn wagon or use a truck?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When I was young (eight or nine) my dad and I put up a bunch of paneling and did a bunch of other work as we developed an efficient shorthand that probably saved a number of mistakes. When we would take a measurement we would call it out to the nearest 1/4 " and then tally any remaining 1/16 " increments as "little marks". So one of us would say, "twelve and a half and three little marks" instead of working out that that was 12 - 11/16 ". I don't recall us ever having a miscommunication as a result. To this day when I'm measuring things and I just need to transfer a measurement I still mentally work in "little mark" notation.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I re-invented the memory chip.:cool:
When I'm doing lumber, I make my helper write down the measurements on a scrap of wood and carry it to me so I can cut the next piece the right size. It works.:)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A truck dropped them off each morning with all their (hand) tools.
Interesting. I've never understood the rationale -- it's okay to ride in a truck but not drive it. It's okay to work with drywall that is produced using modern technology but not to use modern technology. My stepmom grew up near a small Amish community in Nebraska, but they were very hardcore. They made (make? I don't know if the community still exists or not) some compromises out of necessity, but allowed no electricity, no indoor plumbing, no modern farming methods. They did their own metal work (blacksmithing) but had to use some modern materials because they couldn't find enough "original" metal to work with. Even if I don't understand or buy into their mindset, I have a healthy respect for people that are willing to lay down firm boundaries for their lives and then live by them as much as possible. That extends far less to many of the Amish communities that are increasingly paying lip service to those boundaries by allowing modern farming practices, including using tractors, and many home conveniences including flush toilets, running water, refrigerators, washing machines, plus using chainsaws, air tools, etc. A lot of that, I'm sure, is driven by needing to lighten up on the strictures in order to keep the next generation in the community, but it would still seem to call into question their commitment to what is, ostensibly, a keystone of their faith.

Interesting. I've never understood the rationale -- it's okay to ride in a truck but not drive it. It's okay to work with drywall that is produced using modern technology but not to use modern technology. My stepmom grew up near a small Amish community in Nebraska, but they were very hardcore. They made (make? I don't know if the community still exists or not) some compromises out of necessity, but allowed no electricity, no indoor plumbing, no modern farming methods. They did their own metal work (blacksmithing) but had to use some modern materials because they couldn't find enough "original" metal to work with. Even if I don't understand or buy into their mindset, I have a healthy respect for people that are willing to lay down firm boundaries for their lives and then live by them as much as possible. That extends far less to many of the Amish communities that are increasingly paying lip service to those boundaries by allowing modern farming practices, including using tractors, and many home conveniences including flush toilets, running water, refrigerators, washing machines, plus using chainsaws, air tools, etc. A lot of that, I'm sure, is driven by needing to lighten up on the strictures in order to keep the next generation in the community, but it would still seem to call into question their commitment to what is, ostensibly, a keystone of their faith.
Your points are well taken!:rolleyes: -- 'Tho, for all that, I'll say this for them (i.e. Old Order Anabaptists in general) -- they don't proselytize!!!:):):) - in my book that cuts them veritable light years of slack!:cool: -- 'mucky roadways' notwithstanding!o_O:D

Best regards
HP

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Your comments make you sound like an ass. Not every Amish person can pump out enough hand-made furniture/sheds/cabinets/jam and at the right price & volume to cover a family's expenses - let alone afford all hand cultivated crops from their neighbor's farm. You have no idea what personal torment they may go though, criticism they suffer within their own community or even what compromises the Amish may make as a community. I have never come across an Amish person who asked me to UNDERSTAND THEIR RATIONAL or even discussed or publicized the rules they live by so, by extension, they don't ask anyone to UNDERSTAND OR BUY INTO THEIR MINDSET. They don't ask you to understand their mindset because they have enough members - they even offer each of their children the chance to leave the community as they grow up. Most (by far) stay. They don't need to LIGHTEN UP to KEEY THE NEXT GENERATION IN THE COMMUNITY as their population has doubled in the last 25 years alone - no recruiting new members from outside, just good old fashioned copulation.

Just because some of their lifestyle choices are more visible than those that you or your neighbor have set does not mean they are asking you to keep score or rank their ability to follow them. If you disagree, please do the same for yourself and your neighbors as well - stop by the fabric store on your next outing and get some scarlet red fabric because there must be people in your community that are breaking a commandment. Speaking of commandments. please understand, those visible actions you are pointing out, are in no way A KEYSTONE OF THEIR FAITH. Those visible actions that you are throwing stones at are simply the castle walls that protect some much deeper and important keystones of their faith - faith and family.

You are free to think, feel and say what ever you want. I'm just sayin', you are sounding like an uninformed ass.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Geez, gopher, I think you've overreacted. People of all stripes behave in inconsistent ways that seem irrational to an outsider. Pants sagging to the knees comes to mind. Noting these "odd" behaviors doesn't make you an ass, just a curious student of human thinking.

I was bike riding through Amish country in Indiana a while back and like WBahn, I was perplexed to see solar panels on rooftops, electric fences, vending machines on porches, and other modern items that, to my outsider eyes, seemed inconsistent with what little I know of them. I read it as my own ignorance of their lifestyle, but also saw humor and irony in it. That's not condescension, to be amused at human capacity for oddness.

It's gets harder to be non-judgemental when the people you can't understand are blowing themselves up and hoping to kill you.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Geez, gopher, I think you've overreacted. People of all stripes behave in inconsistent ways that seem irrational to an outsider. Pants sagging to the knees comes to mind. Noting these "odd" behaviors doesn't make you an ass, just a curious student of human thinking.

I was bike riding through Amish country in Indiana a while back and like WBahn, I was perplexed to see solar panels on rooftops, electric fences, vending machines on porches, and other modern items that, to my outsider eyes, seemed inconsistent with what little I know of them. I read it as my own ignorance of their lifestyle, but also saw humor and irony in it. That's not condescension, to be amused at human capacity for oddness.

It's gets harder to be non-judgemental when the people you can't understand are blowing themselves up and hoping to kill you.

Noting differences and evolutions of a community is way different than grading with Healthy Respect and degrees "far less" when he isn't even aware of the motivations, agreements within the community and misunderstood "keystones of their faith".

He could rephrase all of his comments about, "I noticed quite a change in Amish communities over the past X years, does anyone know why?" Or, "I'm good at researching things, so I'm going to look into why the Amish are adapting their ways". The a options are way better than, (paraphrasing) "I don't understand their mindset but I've been grading them against what I believe to be their rules and they do not perform well so I have less respect for them."

Last edited:
As an aside I feel the Amish community received an undeserved 'bad rap' via that "Lebanon Levi" BS!:mad: --- Yet another manifestation of the so called "entertainment industry's" abject sleaziness and hypocrisy!:mad::rolleyes:

To be clear -- My remarks on this post are aimed solely at 'Hollywood' (and it's ilk) -- and are in no way directed toward anyone here!:):):)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Coming from someone that would never think of criticizing anyone, huh?
Got your poking stick out this morning?
Invalid argument: "Gopher claimed he would never criticize anybody."

I like the educational content from both of you. I wouldn't bother correcting a sentence that I disagree with out of a large paragraph of interesting stuff. Don't let this degrade into something personal.