ESP32-WROOM Module prototype/1-off build PCB

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I've built a few ESP32 client & personal packaged projects using both the 30pin carrier level and the SMD WROOM module on either THT solderable prototyping board or a custom PCB. The former tends to be bulky and is overkill and messy when you need a few I2C/SPI peripherals (on THT-breakout boards) but not many GPIO while the latter is far more robust/reliable for multiple boards but expensive/time consuming for a 1-off. What I'd really like is a PCB laid out for the WROOM module with a THT-area and footprints for a few SOIC devices, maybe a dedicated ADC (the ESP32 on-board ADC is rubbish). So far the only thing that comes close is this one from directnine, but at 38GBP its very expensive for what I have in mind and is really only THT-compatible.
1671804258805.png
Does anyone have another similar off-the-shelf product suggestion?

I'm considering designing one myself. What would you put on there? As said, I'm thinking:
  • the ESP32 WROOM module plus pins for external programming adapter (though I use OTA programming almost exclusively now)
  • a few SOIC 8/14/16/20 'strips' with some SMD RC footprints for standard dual/quad opamp layouts
  • a dedicated ADC and EXT reference with some SMD RC filtering
  • space for a low wattage DC/DC or AC/DC converter?
  • fits a standard 100 x 60 x 25mm prototyping enclosure?
Your thoughts?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So, I have been looking for protoboards that can be used with SMDs. So far this company’s products seem the most promising but they are very expensive. I point these out because of the pad design which might be helpful in laying out your proposed board.

1671805174264.jpeg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thinking about it, you might also want footprints for:

Type-C connector for power and data

The few components you’d need to include LiIon battery power/charge with a two pin JST connector to make standard LiPo cells plug-and-play.

A SMA or IPX antenna connector and a 50Ω transmission line to it.

A header for GPIO (2.45mm would be easy for some things, but there are some really nice, low profile and very small options as well)

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Type-C connector for power and data - for power maybe. Adding data requires the CP2102 or CH340 chips and I've been trying to avoid putting them on board and only using an external USB/UART if necessary, but OTA mainly.

The few components you’d need to include LiIon battery power/charge with a two pin JST connector to make standard LiPo cells plug-and-play. - yes, that might be worth having on-board, not necessarily populated

A SMA or IPX antenna connector and a 50Ω transmission line to it - no, the WROOM module comes with a PCB antenna or an SMA connector - so if you need external antenna use the right module

A header for GPIO (2.45mm would be easy for some things, but there are some really nice, low profile and very small options as well) - an THT header area might be useful.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have two suggestions.

1) For one-off SMD with simple circuit, I do double sided copper laminate and cut solder islands with an X-acto knife.

2) For a GP development board, it is difficult to anticipate all future needs. I would suggest laying out your own PCB to suit your immediate needs with additional pads to GPIO pins, an area of SMD pads, and some SOIC footprints.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A DIY design is IMO the best option. A four layer PCB stack from one of the cheap PCB houses is usually what I do during the design phase as you will need at least one PCB revision usually on a fresh design. Fully utilize both sides of the PCB so you can have extra space to solder on parts and to have easy access to PCB test-points.

Design example: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...controller-and-sensor-node-for-canbus.189388/
This is the vref for the internal ADC that actually works to spec. https://www.analog.com/en/products/max6126.html#product-overview

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/164
I agree, the ESP32 on-board ADC is total rubbish. The ADS1115 is a common external ADC for the controller.

You also might consider adding pads for a accelerometer. These things are pretty cheap and can easily provide movement/orientation information to a project.

Last edited: