What is logic level output voltage of ESP32 (ESP32 ESP-WROOM-32 )? 5v or 3.3v?

MrNams

Joined May 20, 2023
What is logic level output voltage of ESP32 (ESP32 ESP-WROOM-32 )? 5v or 3.3v?
I have to connect Lora module "REYAX RYLR998" to it, which works with 3.3v only.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Mr,
Some 3.3V input MCU's which have inputs from a 5v signal sources, use a resistive divider, to reduce the 5V to a 3.3v level.
E

Example:
Vout= Vin * (R2/(R1+R2))
Vout = 5v * (3k3/(1k8+3k3))
EG57_ 825.png

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is a great deal of conflicting information concerning the ESP-32 and whether it's digital inputs are 5V tolerant.

While the datasheets clearly state the maximum input is VDD +0.3V (the chip will operate as low as 2.3V if no flash or PSRAM is present) there are "official" statements from representatives of Espressif stating the pins are 5V tolerant.

Personally, I would go by the datasheet unless I had a compelling reason to use 5V, then I would test and expect to fry a chip. But since the official specs don't support 5V operation, even if they are currently able to tolerate the higher voltage there is no guarantee the next chip you buy will do that.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
there are "official" statements from representatives of Espressif stating the pins are 5V tolerant.
Are you certain about this? This is true for the ESP8266 ( I have read the actual message thread where this statement was made), but as I recall, it's been explicitly stated that this DOES NOT apply to ESP32.

This may have changed for some of the more recent variants, I haven't kept up with them all.

MrNams

Joined May 20, 2023
There is a great deal of conflicting information concerning the ESP-32 and whether it's digital inputs are 5V tolerant.

While the datasheets clearly state the maximum input is VDD +0.3V (the chip will operate as low as 2.3V if no flash or PSRAM is present) there are "official" statements from representatives of Espressif stating the pins are 5V tolerant.

Personally, I would go by the datasheet unless I had a compelling reason to use 5V, then I would test and expect to fry a chip. But since the official specs don't support 5V operation, even if they are currently able to tolerate the higher voltage there is no guarantee the next chip you buy will do that.
You mean provide input itself as 3.3V right? I supply 5V input and it tolerate, i mean to ESP32 dev board, it internally drop voltage to 3.3 using voltage regulator.