ESP32 based audio processing system

Mayank_2606

Joined Jun 10, 2020
I am trying to create a audio processing system using an ESP32, Main goal is to be able to record audio over large distance(50-100m). I have come up with a plan to use a microphone in a Parabolic reflector system, with a mic very similar to this. Then I would do all the processing on the esp32, maybe even log the audio signal. The input mic might need some hardware filters in series in order to process the audio before hand.

My main concern is, "Is esp32 capable to handle this particular mic or some very similar ones?", because I have a feeling the connection might be prone to a lot of noise. Also will filtering enable me to capture the faint sounds coming over this large distance?

Any help is appreciated.

PS : I am not gonna use it to spy anyone or any malicious activity, I am just a college student getting into the whole hardware design ecosystem and this is something of a college final year project.

Mayank_2606

Joined Jun 10, 2020
Thank you for your quick response(and I apologize for my delayed one).

I have checked that board and It sure is decent, I just need to process audio on board so I think the peripheral connectors and similar would be wasted.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a filter using c++/micropython, I mean a IIR or FIR filter of some kind

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
No amount of fancy digital filtering can compensate for a bad input signal.

Focus your energies on getting the best analog design you can first.

Note that parabolic microphones dont help much until they are huge.

Mayank_2606

Joined Jun 10, 2020
No amount of fancy digital filtering can compensate for a bad input signal.

Focus your energies on getting the best analog design you can first.

Note that parabolic microphones dont help much until they are huge.
Okay, I will get to designing an input system first. Anything specific to keep in mind? like the input filtering part and the analog output amplifier? Thanks