ESD Protection: Diodes vs ESD Chips

bluexdynasty

Joined Oct 3, 2014
Hi,

I'm not an expert at ESD protection. Thus, I was wondering if someone can explain to me the pros and cons of using ESD chips like TVS diode arrays versus using regular diodes/thyristors for low powered (i.e 3-5V) electronics?

When would you use one over the other?

Basically, I have a transmit and receive line that I want to protect when sending/recieving data to and from my MCU. Thus, I'm trying to find the most optimal and cost efficient way to protect these lines.

Thanks for the help!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
It depends somewhat on the speed of the signals involved and the circuit topology.

You can usually solve the problem with simple clamp diodes and a series resistor to limit the DC fault currents that occur when the wrong signals are applied.
TVS diodes are getting very good, with low capacitance, high speed and a wide range of breakdown voltages available.

bluexdynasty

Joined Oct 3, 2014
Thanks for the quick response Sensacell.

However, I was wondering if there is a generalization on when/why you would use one over the other? Since you mentioned speed, do you have an example at what speed you would use a diode over tvs diode or vice versa?

In regards to the circuit topology, it's pretty much the connector's communication lines are attached to the MCU. However, these TX and RX lines (from the datasheet it says 1Mbit/s) are close to the 5V line coming in from the supply. Note this is a low powered device 3.3V/5V.
Thus, I just want to ensure I don't damage anything in the long run but trying to optimize the circuitry.

Thanks! :)