Do I need aditional protection diodes on Raspberry Pico inputs ?

Marus780

Joined Jan 11, 2023
Hi !
I need to to use the Pico analog inputs to monitor a 0-16V voltage. I will make a voltage divider to scale the 16V to 3V. This DC voltage will never exced 16V, but there my be some voltage spike from switching or power line noise. Do I need to add schottky diodes to power rails for protection ? Or the Pico already has potent protection diodes ?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Or the Pico already has potent protection diodes ?
The datasheet doesn't specify how "potent" over voltage protection is.

Since Schottky diodes are cheaper than replacing a Pico, I'd add external protection if you suspect signal excursions will exceed the 0.3V tolerated by the I/O's.

I couldn't find any mention of the current required for latch-up. I think it's around 100mA these days, but don't take my word for it. Read the 600+ page RP2040 datasheet yourself.

Hi !
I need to to use the Pico analog inputs to monitor a 0-16V voltage. I will make a voltage divider to scale the 16V to 3V. This DC voltage will never exced 16V, but there my be some voltage spike from switching or power line noise. Do I need to add schottky diodes to power rails for protection ? Or the Pico already has potent protection diodes ?
There are no GPIO clamping diodes in RP2040. It is recommended to use an external one.