Escooter conversion : 350 Watt controller paired with 250 watt battery

sargalha

Joined Feb 2, 2020
Hey guys !
I'm trying to do a scooter conversion, I have a 250 watt battery (36 v) and a 350 watt chinese generic controller. The thing is, when going uphill the battery shuts off. I think that maybe due to the current being drawn being too high. Does anybody know how to fix this issue ? Can I limit the draw current in anyway besides buying a new controller? Sorry for my english and for my poor knowlege of electronics I'm just starting, thanks for the help !

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Too much current will be the motors under load, changing the controller will probably help, or modifying the existing one. Best to measure the current when it's under load.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You could change the gear ratio between the motor and the drive wheel so the motor did not need to provide as much torque for the same torque at the drive wheel. This would of course reduce the top speed of the scooter. What do you mean by "a 250 watt battery" ? Do you mean it's maximum output is 250 watts ( 6.94 amps.) or do you mean that it has a capacity of 250 watt hours (6.94 amp hours.) ?

Les.

sargalha

Joined Feb 2, 2020
You could change the gear ratio between the motor and the drive wheel so the motor did not need to provide as much torque for the same torque at the drive wheel. This would of course reduce the top speed of the scooter. What do you mean by "a 250 watt battery" ? Do you mean it's maximum output is 250 watts ( 6.94 amps.) or do you mean that it has a capacity of 250 watt hours (6.94 amp hours.) ?

Les.
Thank you for the suggestion, I mean the max output is 250 watt