escooter/ebike not working

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I have an e-scooter (Phantomgogo Commuter R1) that would not turn on. It is equipped with the keyed throttle/display, light, brakes, and motor, all of which were controlled by the motor controller.

The battery voltage was reading about 35V at the time. I ordered a keyed throttle/display to replace the original keyed throttle/display but made the mistake of getting one that had only 5 wires and not six. So I ordered on with six wires and replace the old one. After matching wire colors and wiring it up, I still did not have display or power to the 3P motor. I shorted the 3Phase motor wires together and tried to turn the wheel. It gave me much resistance. This is one indication that the motor is OK as I do not have an oscilloscope to test any better. So, with the battery, motor, and throttle seeming to be OK I obtained another motor controller from the manufacturer. Of course, the wire connectors were not exactly the same but managed to wire it up “seemingly” correct. NOTHING again.

The image below shows the motor controller in it’s unadulterated condition and marked.
Motor Controller Pinout.jpg

Since it is possible that the “Unknown” 3-pin connector (wires: Black, Red, and Blue) could be a throttle connector I checked for any voltage on these three pins...(nothing). With power to the controller, I checked for 5V on any two of the “throttle/display” connector and came up with nothing.

All black wires produced continuity and leads be to believe that black is ground (as is generally normal).
The only voltage obtained was on the white wire of the “throttle/Digital readout connector. My guess here is that when the key switch is on, certain things should be activated such as the digital readout. But when the connector is plugged in I have no way to measure voltages.

This is where I leave it to you all to offer insight!

Motor Controller Label.jpg

Throttle 2.jpg

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
If anyone knows of a great escooter forum that may be able to add insight, plese let me know!

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I have a three similar Ninebot scooters. Very unreliable product typically never working much more than 1 season. All have damaged processor and exploded power keys. All the time am having a dream to throw out all that unneeded electronics and substitute with classical computer fan bldc Hall-sensor based commutator only with thicker transistors. To buy any new scooter, I realized, is senseless waste of money.