ESC shutting down

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It should be a simple matter to monitor tha supply voltage into the speed controller and see what is happening.
But now my guess is that the control logic does not see that there is adequate cooling, and so it shuts down before any temperature rise. So the problem is not overheating, but the anticipation of overheating.And still we know not nearly enough about the controller. itself. And dthat is where the problem is located.We still have no information about the settings and calibration of the ESC, other than it is water cooled. and physically small.. So there may be a current limit that is not set correctly, and that will certainly cause a shut down as the current rises.
So tell us about ALL of the settable variables. I am guessing that is where the problem lies.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
As I asked, back in post #13, do you have water-cooling working for the ESC when testing? It's possible the ESC detects a quick temperature rise (as MrBill2 pointed out), even if you can't.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
My own experience with brushless ESC is that the current limit isn't settable - a 60amp ESC will be good for 60A, a 15 amp good for 15Amp, etc, mind the esc's I use are for r/c aircraft, perhaps yours is different? I know the esc's shut down if the motor is stalled ( by the propeller hitting the ground!) and the ESC can be overloaded if the motor and prop combination is wrong, resulting in the magic smoke escaping from the electronics. As a thought, where did you source the batteries from? Chinese 18650's on fleabag quite often have exaggerated ratings in capacity terms. A lot of cells have protection circuits built-in, this can adversely effect the ability to give current when needed, as the protection circuit will limit discharge current. My 18v li-ion drill uses unprotected cells, they can discharge at 20C, that's 20 x their amp hour capacity. Worth monitoring battery voltage - probably better with an analogue meter.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
The C rate is the charge rate, a 1C cell should be charged upto it's Amp hour rate (2.6A in this case). Batteries should also have a maximum discharge rate given as a C rate as well, do you know what it is?
18650 cells are sold as unprotected or protected cells - these have electronics built into them to prevent overvoltage charging, undervoltage discharging and current limiting. Unprotected cells often have a higher discharge current ability, more suitable for power tool use. But it does mean that external battery monitoring circuitry is essential.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
Just a thought - can you for fault finding purposes just try lead acid batteries instead of the li-ions, just to eliminate the battery pack as a problem.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The TS has mentioned setting some values, and since this is not a tiny RC controller it i reasonable that it can have more calibration options. And many of the drives that I have used in the past have had adjustable current limits and over-current shutdown adjustments, within their max ranges. That is how one can use a 60 amp rated controller with a 50 amp rated motor. I realize that the TS says in post #11 that the limit can not be changed, but that does not make sense at all. So how are the limits accessed and adjusted? It makes no sense at all for the current limit to not be adjustable.
My guess is that the limit or the shutdown limit has not been set correctly. I have not seen any response indicating that this possibility has even been considered, and yet it is the mot logical reason for the problem described.

Last edited:

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
Thanks, I'll try to answer all the questions, I tried every combination of the settings it still shuts down after 10 sec. I got the cells from a good source they are reclaimed, not the cheep over rated ones from China. I built a battery for my 2 wheel drive e-bike and I've had it for 3 yrs. It has gear less hub motors and will still almost clime a tree. Although that battery is 48v I tested it at full throttle and it draws 30 amps. The ESC shuts this battery down after 2 amps. A friend gave me a 24v controller from a bike but it's sensored and I don't know how to test it with this motor. I did try a 24 volt battery from a brush less chainsaw but it didn't work. I'll keep trying things but I think the ESC is the problem.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, two places to experiment, First, on the power setting page, try forward power setting the limit to 75% and see if that changes anything. It certainly should. The with the motor timing, unless you have information otherwise, try setting for 5 degrees.
I see other wires and I am wondering what else gets connected. And is there a connection for a coolingwater pump motor.

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
OK, two places to experiment, First, on the power setting page, try forward power setting the limit to 75% and see if that changes anything. It certainly should. The with the motor timing, unless you have information otherwise, try setting for 5 degrees.
I see other wires and I am wondering what else gets connected. And is there a connection for a coolingwater pump motor.
As I said, I tried every setting several times. I had a pump hooked up with ice water. We can eliminate the possibility of settings or cooling as a solution.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
measuring the battery voltage at the supply connections of the module will provide an insight as to what the battery voltage is doing as the load increases. It will also provide an indication of the adequacy of the connection wiring.

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
I want to use the white prop which is 7'' dia. but even the tiny black prop shuts off after 10 seconds. Bottom line, I think I need a different motor and ESC. This motor screams with no load, it has a max rpm of 7000, I think 2000 would be plenty and I don't know how to calculate the torque to get lbs of thrust. I'm looking at a few options If anyone knows of a motor please let me know

Attachments

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
measuring the battery voltage at the supply connections of the module will provide an insight as to what the battery voltage is doing as the load increases. It will also provide an indication of the adequacy of the connection wiring.
I did, the voltage drops .5 at full load right before it shuts down. The wiring is 8 gauge with gold connectors. This is not the problem. Its either the ESC or the battery and I don't think it's the battery.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
With a battery drop that low, no it is not the battery or the wires. 7000 RPM is way faster than normal props would spin, and so it seems that the motor is not correct for the application.
I hope that the sellers of regular outboard motor propellers can provide data relating prop RPM to horsepower requirements. I have seen a ten inch prop, I think, on a 12HP motor, at least that is my recollection. Certainly there must be data tables relating prop speed and pitch to force and boat speed. It does not seem reasonable that a prop should spin that fast.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The motor in the link is claimed to run 25,000 to 30,000 RPM! That is screaming! Probably not with a 7 inch rop, nor even a 4 inch prop. That looks like a different sort of application.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
This site appears to be r/c model boat related. The motor the TS has used would probably need a 3" or smaller prop! It would certainly unload the motor.