Dashcam Shutting Down Problem

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
hello guys, I bought a dashcam from china (if you like, I can write the brand and the model) after working 5 mn it keeps shutting down. then I cotacted the seller about the problem, they kept telling me that I should change the power cable , power source and memory card,. I literally did everything they advised me but nothing changed and then no answer. Then I decided to open up the dashcam and change the capacitor by myself. First I saw no capacitor or battery inside then I realized there is smd ceramic capacitor inside. Then I desoldered that ceramic capacitor and measued it with a capacitance multimeter ut33a+ it measured 10 uf capacitance and the size of smd capacitor is 805 (2 mm ) so it seemed ok to me but I desoldered it anyways. so now my question;
1-is soldering a new smd ceramic capacitor would make it work and solve the problem?
2- my camera works with 5v . on the internet there are 2 types of smd capacitor 10uf 16v and 10uf 10v . which one should I prefer?
3- apart from this smd capacitor theory , where can this problem stem from?any idea
thanks in adavance

Attachments

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Welcome to AAC.

Y'know, sometimes someone comes here and may be missing just one little point. Pointing that out sometimes makes the person asking the question feel insulted. We don't want to insult you. So without being able to do hands-on testing the best we can do is guess.

As for capacitors, that little cap you removed - put it back. That's not the problem. Some cameras, and I've had three thus far, can be fussy about accepting power. Depends on how you set up the camera. It should be set to come on when power comes on and should shut off approximately 30 seconds after you turn the car off. Some cameras have "Motion Detection". They can draw power from the car always regardless of key on or key off. But for that you need to wire it to a constant hot source. The battery (or super-cap) should be sufficient to power the camera long enough to complete the "writing to the memory card" process. My cameras have always run for 30 seconds after powering them off.

One thing you can do to bench test the camera is to get a cell phone charger with the right plug for the camera and bench power it. The camera should come on and continue to run as long as there is power. I may be saying things you already know - sorry, again, not attempting to insult or belittle anyone. I'm suspicious the problem may be in the setup and not in the electronics. Otherwise if everything is good then it should work. If it doesn't - I doubt you can get a warranty replacement since you've opened it and worked on it. That's up to you to decide what to do. Either the camera should work as advertised or should be sent back for warranty replacement.

I had a camera for a long time. It worked faithfully. A few years ago it stopped keeping date and time records, though it still recorded. At one point I replaced the internal battery, the old one was swollen. Looking at your pictures, that large metalized area on the PCB looks like it's been damaged. Perhaps something was glued down - like a battery - and someone pulled it off. Don't know how you got it. Maybe your less than reputable dealer may have gave someone a warranty and then passed this camera on to you.

At this point it looks like you may be stuck with it since you've opened it and worked on it.

The solution for your camera is beyond me because I don't have it in hand to test it. And if I had it in hand I'd be able to check the setup, and maybe the battery - if it had one. Looking like yours doesn't have either a battery or a super-cap. That alone may be the problem. MY cameras will film for 5 minutes then stop to write to the memory chip. Meanwhile it continues to record. If you don't have a battery it may be possible you're overloading the chip when you film for 5 minutes then it stops to write, thus, the camera shuts down. Shuts down if that's what you're saying it does.

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
dude, first of all thanks for the support and your time,
1-I have already done the bench test with a 5v 2,5 A phone charger but no use . still the same.
2-the thing glued down and then removed by me is a piece of iron to cool down the micro processor.
there was no supercap or battery. see the pictures and my youtube video please :) (make a comment on youtube :D)
3- like you said there is + and - terminals on the circuit board but behind them there are no traces. still what kind of battery or supercap would u recommend?
4- " If you don't have a battery it may be possible you're overloading the chip when you film for 5 minutes then it stops to write, thus, the camera shuts down. Shuts down if that's what you're saying it does. " =yeah it shuts down after recording 5mn and that s it!
forgive my language mistakes
respect from Turkey

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why do you think that removing a capacitor would fix the problem? What theory is that?

Would you not think that stating the brand and model number be helpful? What is the reason for not giving the brand and model number?

What do you mean by "Shutting down"? Do you know that there are various timer modes such as Screen Saver timer?

Have you read the User Manual and looked at the recording settings?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I'm suspicious the problem may be in the setup and not in the electronics.
I'd second this but it looks like I'm the third party to state "setup" as where the issue may lay.

I'm with Pan. We don't ever want to insult anyone. Sometimes people make a goofy mistake. We're not in the habit of making people feel small, but I also suspect you have something set up incorrectly.

MY dash cam's are set to display the screen for 30 seconds after start-up. After that the screens go blank. But the camera is still recording. When I shut the car off the screen lights up again and displays what the camera sees for (again) 30 seconds. Meanwhile, if I've driven for a few hours and then pull the memory chip, plug the chip into my computer, then the whole drive time is there. Perhaps you've gotten confused with screen on time versus operational time. Again, not looking to insult anyone so please don't feel insulted.

As I made the comment about my memory chip it suddenly occurred to me that a faulty chip may also be an issue. Have you tried a different chip? One of my cameras was capable of supporting a 16 gig mem chip. I put a 32 gig chip in and had issues. Putting the correct chip in made a difference in MY camera. Don't know yours is the same or not. Worth a mention though.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
MY dash cam's are set to display the screen for 30 seconds after start-up.
One more thought on this subject: In the setup I can specify preset periods of time for the screen to be active. I like 30 seconds. Without going outside and fussing with the setup menu on mine, I'm sure there's a setting where I can have the screen display at all times. I think there's also a 5 minute setting but again, without going outside I'm unsure of that. 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, those sound familiar. It's possible you have one with a 5 minute setting.

The best way to determine camera function is to run it for a short 10 minute drive then pull the mem chip out and read what was captured. It's possible your camera is functioning as it should. However, I find it a bit confusing why you don't have a battery or super cap in it. As for the + & - solder terminals, there could be inner layers to the PCB. Many PCB's have multiple layers. Four layers is not uncommon. However, in my career I've seen as many as 16 layers. That was back in the 90's.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My dash cam is Geko Orbit 130.
I didn't have to go and check the settings on the camera. I just had to look at the User Manual.
Who reads the User Manual anyway, much less save the User Manual.

My manual says that the Screen Saver options are:
Off / 3 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 10 Minutes
and I have noted that I have set it to Off.

Auto Power Off: Off / 1 Minute / 3 Minutes
I have set it to 1 Minute

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I just had to look at the User Manual.
Real men don't need "User Manual's". JK.

I've had mine for so long I don't know what brand it is, let alone where to go to find a user manual. On those rare occasions I have to check or change settings I fumble through the menu until I find what I'm looking for. Usually once set they get left alone for years. My first DC lasted 8 years. I had to replace the battery in it. The only reason why I retired it is because I can set the time and date then as soon as I finish a trip and shut the car off, it loses date and time. All my files are from January 2014. Even though I had it through the pandemic.

Thus far I haven't had a need to "Prove" anything via my dash cam. However, should such a need arise, it's a lot easier to have accurate information saved on the mem chip than to try and explain to some highly educated idiot that the date and time are way off and unsettable.

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
Why do you think that removing a capacitor would fix the problem? What theory is that?

Would you not think that stating the brand and model number be helpful? What is the reason for not giving the brand and model number?

What do you mean by "Shutting down"? Do you know that there are various timer modes such as Screen Saver timer?

1- the theory was to replace the faulty supercap as there was noneI removed the smd capacitor closest to the power socket. I know dumb idea but I am rookie anyways and here to learn fromyou guys

2-I was new in the forum i thought maybe it was forbidden mentioning brand names.
ı bought it from aliexpress brand :Sameuo U750
3- I mean shutting down turning off by itself without my consent and there is no screen this model has no screen
4-user manual sucks! It is more like a pamphlet and it just jabbers the stuff that anyone know.
Thanks

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Sounds like it's made out of Chinesium. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. If it was inexpensive (cheap) then it's probably - um - cheap. Hate to bear bad news but it looks to me like you wasted your money. But that's just my honest opinion. For what it's worth.

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
I'd second this but it looks like I'm the third party to state "setup" as where the issue may lay.

I'm with Pan. We don't ever want to insult anyone. Sometimes people make a goofy mistake. We're not in the habit of making people feel small, but I also suspect you have something set up incorrectly.

MY dash cam's are set to display the screen for 30 seconds after start-up. After that the screens go blank. But the camera is still recording. When I shut the car off the screen lights up again and displays what the camera sees for (again) 30 seconds. Meanwhile, if I've driven for a few hours and then pull the memory chip, plug the chip into my computer, then the whole drive time is there. Perhaps you've gotten confused with screen on time versus operational time. Again, not looking to insult anyone so please don't feel insulted.

As I made the comment about my memory chip it suddenly occurred to me that a faulty chip may also be an issue. Have you tried a different chip? One of my cameras was capable of supporting a 16 gig mem chip. I put a 32 gig chip in and had issues. Putting the correct chip in made a difference in MY camera. Don't know yours is the same or not. Worth a mention though.
Sir I got ur point and not insulted at all , thanks for your time , but on my dashcam Sameuo U750 there is no screen and there is no option pr buttons for setting , I have done everything the seller told me to not in order to help me bu in order to get rid of me change the power cable , power source, recommended quality sandisk and samsung cards, the result: none , zero
Best Regards from Turkey

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
Sounds like it's made out of Chinesium. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. If it was inexpensive (cheap) then it's probably - um - cheap. Hate to bear bad news but it looks to me like you wasted your money. But that's just my honest opinion. For what it's worth.
Dude ,totally chinesium , good one :D
I paid 40 usd which is not bad money in Turkey

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
Guys! Gather around , I was able resolder the smd cap where I removed from and now the camera works again :) check the pictures! But my original problem still exist , that faulty dashcam of mine still keeps shutting down after 5 minutes.
as master @ThePanMan mentioned earlier there is + and - terminals for a battery but inside there is no battery or supercap.This model was supposed to have a supercap which was gonna last long years unlike battery dashcams!!!
So at this point what kind of batter or supercap would you recommend?
Respect from Turkey

Attachments

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
Sir , I just checked it again for you , specifically first time 3 mn 12 seconds , second time 3 mn 3 seconds this is how it goes down. This dashcam is supposed to have a supercap but there is none inside , also there is no battery . But on pcb there is B+ and B- terminals which are empty.
Respect from01694AF4-1D99-4BDD-9B7A-F941C200925A.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Sir , I just checked it again for you , specifically first time 3 mn 12 seconds , second time 3 mn 3 seconds this is how it goes down. This dashcam is supposed to have a supercap but there is none inside , also there is no battery . But on pcb there is B+ and B- terminals which are empty.
Respect from
The fact that is so inexact about the time it takes to shutdown makes me suspect a power problem rather than an auro-power-off function. But that’s not certain.

It looks like it was supposed to have a rather chunky super cap in it, and of unusual geometry. But this looks like the one they used. If you can’t return the camera it might be worth getting one and seeing if it helps. It doesn’t seem like it would to me.

New Dash cam front and rear sameuo U2000 QHD1440p dashcam video recorder wifi car dvr with 2 c...png
Are you using a power supply that can deliver 2A or more? That’s apparently required though again, the long delay doesn’t seem to fit with that. I’d suspect overheating but I am assuming it starts right up if you connect the power again?

I don’t think the reset switch matters. I‘d imagine they left it off because it’s not very useful on a device that is designed to be power cycled. By the way, unless you connect it to continuous power it will not maintain date and time information since there is no onboard power.

Do you happen to have a monitor that can has an A/V input? The signal from TV OUT might be very helpful!

I have to say it’s pretty shabby. I wonder if these were QC rejects or something?

torukojinnn

Joined Jul 16, 2022
Sir , million thanks for your answer and your photo of dashcam. In your dash cam , at least there is a supercap, in mine there is only a piece of iron where the supercap is supposed to be! Omg total rip off ! And battery terminals are empty. Could you please tell me Voltage and farad of the supercap in your sameu u750 dash cam ? Yours have mine doesnt , I think this is the biggest problem I face here. Kind Regards
22D8FF67-9AFC-48BE-A7EC-C65BE7F338EE.jpeg

Attachments