ePUB version of the book

Bender Bending Rodriguez

Joined Dec 20, 2015
Hi all,

I know that there is the PDF version of the books (tried it and it didn't feel right) and some have suggested using certain online services to convert them for ebook readers. But people have said that the end result is often badly formatted and I at least know from using Kindle's own converter that it was to say the least very horrible.

I was wondering if anyone is working on one ?

In a thread by tonykuphaldt I see that Dcrunkilton is the E-book Co-ordinator, which I thought might suggest that it might be readily available as ePUB which would save me a lot of work.

If this, however, is not the case. I have been experimenting using Sigil to copy over the book into ePUB format (the difference when using it on my ebook reader is like night and day) and I started with a section or two from a chapter which became an obsession till I had the whole book (sans cover/title page/ToC (besides the built-in one)). I was wondering if anyone thought it might be beneficial for others, or if anyone has an interest in them? If so, I could upload the ePUB I've made (I've only done Vol I so far) and begin working on the others. I've never used GitHub but I've heard that it might be a good place to have people contribute or at least upload the raw individual chapter files to (although it's thus far just the material from this website formatted into a more ebook reader friendly format).

I would also like to inquire which of the below is the best source to use ?
- allaboutcircuits.com
- https://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/ (Which does indicate that there have been changes at least to the first four volumes within the last four months)
- http://www.vias.org/feee/index.html (although that seems quite outdated ?)
Or another source ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The ibiblio is the source. This may change in the future, but for now that is how it is.

I have written several chapters (more than several actually), I contact Dennis when submitting new material. The book is very much an ongoing project.

Bender Bending Rodriguez

Joined Dec 20, 2015
@Wendy Ah, okay thanks. I wasn't sure seeing as tonykuphaldt had said he was "Passing the baton" to you guys I thought that meant this would be the primary site for updates. Thanks for the information.

@atferrari Nothing against the PDF. As far as PDFs go it feels just like they all do which is just fine on a PC but at the very least on the Kindle Paperwhite (at least on the software version that I tried it at) it was more than lackluster. In portrait view I'd have to scroll left and right to see get to the next part of a sentence which on an e-ink screen can get annoying. Landscape wasn't much better... If memory serves me right I couldn't add annotations. Fixed font sizes...At night with little to no light I like to increase the font size. With a bit more light I'll have it at a smaller font size and with plenty of light I use a third font size.

Again I'm not complaining about the PDF I'm just saying that for an e-book reader(or maybe also e-book reading software on PC or Phone) especially with an e-ink screen an ePUB/mobi file works much better at least for me.

Although I suppose I could check if any of these things have changed but I would doubt it as I suppose it's how PDFs are made rather than anything the Kindle software could improve/better ?

I could upload the ePUB/mobi file if someone wants to take a look at it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
@atferrari Nothing against the PDF. As far as PDFs go it feels just like they all do which is just fine on a PC but at the very least on the Kindle Paperwhite (at least on the software version that I tried it at) it was more than lackluster. In portrait view I'd have to scroll left and right to see get to the next part of a sentence which on an e-ink screen can get annoying. Landscape wasn't much better... If memory serves me right I couldn't add annotations. Fixed font sizes...At night with little to no light I like to increase the font size. With a bit more light I'll have it at a smaller font size and with plenty of light I use a third font size.
Annotations aside, aren't most of the flaws above, common to any portable device? BTW, I use my tablet as a last resource to do any long reading, mostly in .pdf. After all, size of the display is the main point, I believe.

ao152867

Joined Sep 18, 2015
Leave it to me to get sick as soon as I ask about this. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Due to being sick for way too long I fell behind on school work and I've barely been able to catch up to where we're at.
Well, in case, there is anyone that actually is interested (although it didn't really seem like it) here are links to Vol I and II in ePUB and awz3 format. The ePUBs are standalone files but the awz3's have 3 files each; a cover picture, .awz3 file and the metadata file. From what little research I did I saw people saying that the awz3 required the metadata file to function. If someone does download these please let me know if they are indeed required. I've also zipped them so that you don't have to download the files individually (although not sure how much of a time saver that is).
Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi8rav3g86r8cr0/AADcoHWgFXkFUcUy7w8SrSdha?dl=0
Also let me know if you come across anything that could be improved.

@atferrari
Have you ever tried an ebook reader ? It takes care of some of those issues. I have read a lot of different kind of books on it now and I have never had an issue with having to scroll sideways. Maybe that's why I find it annoying having to do that with PDF's.

I suppose for me it's also useful that I can't start surfing the net when on my ebook reader. Helps staying focused.
Believe you me I'm no stranger to huge screen sizes. I have a 27" monitor and a 40" TV that I use with my computers all the time. But again my problem is I'll start surfing the web or watching a video. Also difficult to carry those on the bus, haha!

Florin Tudor

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Hello ao152867,

I'm about to download the first 2 chapters in epub format and test them on a nook e-reader - the old model. I'll get back to you with more info in the next days, looking at it in calibre, I think you did a great job!

I would have done it myself if it weren't for you by scraping the html version of the books and pack it as an epub.

Your work is not in vain ;)

Leave it to me to get sick as soon as I ask about this. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Due to being sick for way too long I fell behind on school work and I've barely been able to catch up to where we're at.
Well, in case, there is anyone that actually is interested (although it didn't really seem like it) here are links to Vol I and II in ePUB and awz3 format. The ePUBs are standalone files but the awz3's have 3 files each; a cover picture, .awz3 file and the metadata file. From what little research I did I saw people saying that the awz3 required the metadata file to function. If someone does download these please let me know if they are indeed required. I've also zipped them so that you don't have to download the files individually (although not sure how much of a time saver that is).
Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi8rav3g86r8cr0/AADcoHWgFXkFUcUy7w8SrSdha?dl=0
Also let me know if you come across anything that could be improved.

@atferrari
Have you ever tried an ebook reader ? It takes care of some of those issues. I have read a lot of different kind of books on it now and I have never had an issue with having to scroll sideways. Maybe that's why I find it annoying having to do that with PDF's.

I suppose for me it's also useful that I can't start surfing the net when on my ebook reader. Helps staying focused.
Believe you me I'm no stranger to huge screen sizes. I have a 27" monitor and a 40" TV that I use with my computers all the time. But again my problem is I'll start surfing the web or watching a video. Also difficult to carry those on the bus, haha!