Engine Control Unit Immobilizer Bypass/Deactivation Trouble

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm swapping a newer engine into an older car that isn't equipped with an immobilizer system. I'm planning to run the stock ECU which does have an immobilizer. My question is: What do I need to do to bypass/deactivate this circuit so the ECU can power up and run this engine.

I've of course done a bit of research. Instead of doing away of the immobilizer system entirely, people demonstrate how to 'virginize' an ECU. This is so they can swap their old faulty ECU with a new one and program their existing key to it. Unfortunately I don't have it this easy.

Thanks for reading.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Year, make, model would be the best place to start along with pictures of new and old ECM showing part numbers. Virginizing an ECM is not an easy task. You would need .bin files from a new ECM to begin with but may be easier to bypass immobilizer system if we know what vehicle you are working on.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
@narkeleptk

This ecu's part number is 89661 - 2A060.

I believe the ecu is out of a Toyota Chaser Mark 2 jzx110.

I was very lucky to find a non-immobilized ecu that will work with my motor. However, for future reference I'd love to learn how to defeat an immobi on an ecu.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
@bwilliams60

Sorry for the very late reply. I am unsure of the year, but it's most likely out of a Toyota Chaser Mark II jzx110. This is a Toyota motor going into a Nissan chassis so the ecu's aren't very comparable. I know how to virginize the ecu but the car was made in 1989. It has no immobilizer equipment.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
Here's a few pictures of the ECU I'm working with. That black plug labelled "2F" is the immobilizer plug. The IC900 ic chip plays a big part in the immobilizer circuit from what I've read.

20190330_145740.jpg 20190330_145808.jpg 20190330_145828.jpg

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
For older Toyota's, Ic900 is the memory for the immobilizer data or the lack of one being equipped. Cars with both immo and non-immo models are the easiest to turn off.

Hi thicc1jz. I am new to this forum stuff but am giving it a try. Did you ever get to find out how to by pass the transponder. I am using a 1uzfe unit. I have the original key and ignition system but it has been sitting for a long time and I am worried it no longer works. I would like to remove it from my system if possible. Thanks for any help in this regard.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
Hi thicc1jz. I am new to this forum stuff but am giving it a try. Did you ever get to find out how to by pass the transponder. I am using a 1uzfe unit. I have the original key and ignition system but it has been sitting for a long time and I am worried it no longer works. I would like to remove it from my system if possible. Thanks for any help in this regard.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to figure out how to bypass the immobilizer. However I was lucky enough to find an ecu that is exactly what I need but is not immobilized. My problem was that I was putting this engine into a 30 year old car that has no immobilizer key receiver. If you want to completely remove this system from your vehicle the only route to go is to get a standalone ecu (like a Haltech or Aem). I considered this option but its expensive but very worth it in the long run if you plan on doing modifications to your 1uz. If this doesnt suit you your only route is to have Toyota program you a new key.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
It should still work honestly, toyota/lexus rarely loose memory on those years.. If its not starting I doubt it is because of the immobilizer. More likely because the fuel lines are all dried out. If you insert your key in ignition (do not turn it) does the security light blink or goes out?

What is your 1uzfe out of? Many of the cars that use it are standard with immobilizer so you'd be hard pressed to find an ecu with out it like the other poster did. It will probably need to be done by editing the eeprom. Do you know how to dump a 93c56?

Last edited:

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
If this doesnt suit you your only route is to have Toyota program you a new key.
Toyota is actually not able to program keys on the eeprom only ecu's (or policies forbid them to do this type of work). The only option from them is to replace the ecu with a virgin(new) unit. They have trouble to source the replacement ecu's nowadays and its a lot more expensive to their customers so the Toyota dealers in my city call or refer to me regularly to program keys on these ecu's.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
It should still work honestly, toyota/lexus rarely loose memory on those years.. If its not starting I doubt it is because of the immobilizer. More likely because the fuel lines are all dried out.

What is 1uzfe out of? Many of the cars that use it are standard with immobilizer so you'd be hard pressed to find one with out it so it would need to be done by editing the eeprom. Do you know how to dump the f93c56?

The 1uz is more of a modern engine and came out of many cars, an sc400 would be an example I think. So yeah I believe all of them would have an immobi.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to figure out how to bypass the immobilizer. However I was lucky enough to find an ecu that is exactly what I need but is not immobilized. My problem was that I was putting this engine into a 30 year old car that has no immobilizer key receiver. If you want to completely remove this system from your vehicle the only route to go is to get a standalone ecu (like a Haltech or Aem). I considered this option but its expensive but very worth it in the long run if you plan on doing modifications to your 1uz. If this doesnt suit you your only route is to have Toyota program you a new key.
Thanks for the quick response. I bought a front cut, I think it was a cs400. I took forever to strip all the wiring harnesses etc . as my plan was to keep the motor side of my conversion as standard as possible. I am building a motor home in a Mercedes 415 Sprinter. ( I found out the original motor was damaged after I bought it.) A company here in South Africa - Lextreme , Pretoria put the harness together for me after I lost my way with all the wires. They said they could modify the ECU to do away with the immobiliser but I insisted on using the immobiliser. In hind sight a bad request. I thought it would give my vehicle an added safety in a country where Sprinters are high on the "wanted" list. I have been trying to find Lextreme - Pretoria without luck. Unfortuneately my project was put on hold for a number of years and now that I am back on it they seem to have gone out of business. As far as I know they used to do a minor modification to the curcuit board that removed the transponder curcuit. The harness with ignition switch worked at their shop after they had wired it up for me - they tested it on another engine they had. All I had to do was connect power, which I have done. The ignition is not feeding power to the starter. An auto electrician friend of mine by passed the start curcuit and we got an initial fire but no continuance. I am taking out the fuel rails to see if the injectors are working. We have good fuel pressure and the injectors have power. I will go through the wiring again to see if I screwed anything up.

A thought I had last night was that it has an auto box that is not wired into the system as yet. Could this perhaps be the problem?

It should still work honestly, toyota/lexus rarely loose memory on those years.. If its not starting I doubt it is because of the immobilizer. More likely because the fuel lines are all dried out. If you insert your key in ignition (do not turn it) does the security light blink or goes out?

What is your 1uzfe out of? Many of the cars that use it are standard with immobilizer so you'd be hard pressed to find an ecu with out it like the other poster did. It will probably need to be done by editing the eeprom. Do you know how to dump a 93c56?
Hi there,
I bought a front cut of what I think was a CS400. I do not have any security light to check as the motor is fitted in a Mercedes Sprinter. The harness was "set up" for me by a company in Pretoria South Africa called Lextreme. It tested OK on a motor they had on their floor. Mine has an auto box and the selector is not wired into the system yet. Could this cause the problem?

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
Hi there,
I bought a front cut of what I think was a CS400. I do not have any security light to check as the motor is fitted in a Mercedes Sprinter. The harness was "set up" for me by a company in Pretoria South Africa called Lextreme. It tested OK on a motor they had on their floor. Mine has an auto box and the selector is not wired into the system yet. Could this cause the problem?

By "auto box" do you mean the transmission control module? With newer Toyota motors it should be built into the ecu. Also no it doesnt matter. For example my ecu is automatic but I'm simply not using any of the inputs/outputs for transmission control and it will still run the engine.

So since you're putting a Toyota motor into a different chassis you cant simply use a Toyota ignition. Like I said your only options are to buy a standalone ecu or pay someone to defeat the immobilizer on your ecu.

thicc1jz

Joined Mar 15, 2019
Hi there,

Also yeah post pics of your ecu so we can try to figure out how to bypass the immobi.