Energy Meter sensor

CoolCatEye

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi,
Just joined this site and was hoping for somw advice:I am going to build a ciruit that will monitor energy (230volts AC 50Hz).

I intend to use the following components:
Part Description Part Number Supplier
PIC PIC - IC,8 Bit Cmos MCU 1084241 Farnell
Transducer 15 Amp Transducer 7083464 Farnell
Transceiver 2.4GHz radio transceiver 626-5635 RS Comp
Transformer Analogue to digital Convert 1292241 Farnell
Voltage Regulator IC,SM Regulator LDO +3.3V 9486275 Farnell

I think i will have to use a different pic,was thinking about 16F 32pin PIC.

Does anyone know how i could start to design the ciruit required to build it?
or any useful information that could help me.Really struggling at the moment with the PIC,I have done very little work on it.

I hope to use LabView to gather the information on my PC.
I have attached data sheets for my parts list

Any help would be great,thanks in advance;)

Attachments

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
You might want to look at the Analog Device energy measurement products, such as ADE7753. This particular one can measure real power for single phase line and has serial port interface, which makes it easier to interface to a microcontroller. Much easier to use than converting the voltage and current separately and then calculating the power with the microcontroller.

CoolCatEye

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the help guys,I will have a look at Analog Device energy measurement products(ADE7753).

I haven't done much on PICS, Ectmlk how would I get a crash course/refreshers course so i can program the PIC?

c55

Joined Mar 26, 2008
Hey CoolCatEye, hows this project going...I'm doing the same thing and was just start reading the datasheet of ADE7753... maybe we can help out each other. I was thinking to use one of Atmel microcontrollers...

to the more experienced guys out there.. is there any other energy metering IC that can provide analog output of the measurement, which would be easier to feed into the anloag input of an mC?

thanks

c55

Joined Mar 26, 2008
well not really.... I would like to avoid the microcontroller coz anyway i have to interface the IC to another board that has analog input.. so for now i'm trying to choose between ADE7753/55/57.

so if I understood correctly, the whole design would look something like... current transducer and voltage trasducer feeding those 2 channels on the IC, then IC via I2C to the microcontroller. Is this ok, or I miss something.

also if you have any other pointers online docs or so, would be great...

thanks

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
There are several application notes on the Analog Device website, and you could also go through the datasheets. There are also several reference designs. I only have limited experience with 7753 application using Rogowski coil.

Apart from AD, Microchip and ST also have energy measurement products. You might want to look at those as well.

You might need to think about the dynamic range of your intended application, detecting 10A of current at less than 1% accuracy would be different with, say, 5mA. Unfortunately, some applications, like digital power meters require accurate measurements across several decades of current using the same current sensor. There are ways to do this, but it would be much easier if you have limited range.

c55

Joined Mar 26, 2008
I understand you point.
I would like to build the device only for one room with several computers inside, and limiting the range, so something simple that works... Does it make sense to get any of the voltage transduces, and a hall effect current sensor? what are the characteristics of those sensors that I have to pay attention to? Lets say I decided to go with 7753, but I'll still check Microchip and ST.

Thanks