Completed Project Ender 3 pro 3D printer camera mount.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So now that I have my new Ender 3 3D printer. I have had to make several tools for myself. The first problem I ran into was the way the filament fed from above allowed it to get into the z axis worm screw, breaking the filament. so until i had a fix for this I had to un-spool a length of filament and having it drag a clamp across the floor to give it some tension. so i made this pulley:
Pulley.jpg
and used it with a 2 x 4 cut to 1 foot length. i then glued a short piece I cut to widen and raise the pulley to a better position.
01.jpg
I added a magnet alarm sensor to detect if the spool had tangled. I have not added the alarm yet.
02.jpg
then I printed this camera mount it is back to go to the end of the X axis mechanism, I am using neodymium 5/ 8" x 1/4” magnets to hold everything together for easy modification.
00 20220214_140536.jpg
Then I made a 1" x 3" piece of steel LED light and the camera itself. The LED I got by stripping this little flashlight I got from harbor freight ($1.69 each) and used a 5 Volt USB cord along with three 10Ω ¼W resistors in parallel to power it. Super glue held everything together on that front along with the magnets in the mount.
00 20220214_140354.jpg 00 220211 camera mount light.jpg
So then I had this:

220212 camera mount setup.jpg 220214 camera mount front view.jpg
Now I upload the .stl files.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am not sure why you are having problems with the filament feed.
My Ender 3 works as is without requiring modification.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is a matter of routing. The filament does not have a clear path to where the mounting location is. Someone else built this printer for me for which I am truly grateful. Look at where this spool of filament is compared to where the feed is, you can see it's way too close to the Z axis worm gear. At the moment I cannot 3D print because the thermocouple is acting up. In typical Amazon fashion they're sending me a whole new printer instead of just the part. I have contacted the manufacturer to see if I can get individual parts. We shall see. By the way here is the remote camera view that I have set up:

00 SS 220212 835PM.jpg
I am using pronterface to feed the printer the gcode.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't stand over the printer and watch it. You will notice the worm screw is right next to the filament. Before I put the pulleys in it did get involved in the screw and break . Please show a picture where you put your spool?

It is interesting that you can now buy this printer kit for $100 from Micro Center.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ah! Like I said I did not build this printer. My spool is facing the other way for easier access. When you're sitting in a wheelchair reaching over your head is not always easy. Being able to print Knick knacks it is going to save me money in the long run. The manufacturer has still not gotten back with me on how I can order replacement parts. On that basis alone I am not sure it's a good deal.

Future projects include spool storage for other colors. I like the green glow in the dark version.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, I see now. Your spool hanger is sticking out in front of the machine instead of going to the rear of the machine.
Turn the hanger around.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No can do. It is over my head and not a job that can be done with one hand. This paralysis sucks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really, mostly I am learning to get around this disability. While I still have a long way to go, i have learned how to solder with one hand among other things. I use the heck out of magnets for pinning things on my metal work table. The 3D printer also makes a lot of tools to make my life easier. In 2019 I broke my hip twice trying to stand up stably . Fortunately both were hairline fractures, still hurt like hades. I like to write, so I use Microsoft speech to text converter. I dislike intensely hunting and pecking on a keyboard. I will get there someday.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you look at MrChips image you can see a big plastic nut holding the spool shaft in place. A half turn or so will release it, then you can place the shaft on the opposite (and correct) side. I just tried this and I did need two hands but you have to be more talented than I using just one.

I've also seen printed filament holders that mount on the side where your wheels are, so the filament feeds in without any turns. See CHEP/Filament Friday on YouTube.

I'm suprised you can load filament one handed. Even using the ERR Struder I still need two hands, one to release the tension, and the other to push the filament in past the extruder gear.

Using some inspiration from Thingiverse I designed a filament guide that also works as a jam sensor that detects not only when you run out of filament, but even when it jams and just stops feeding. Right now it just serves as a guide as I've yet to upgrade Marlin to work with it, but it does prevent wear on the EZR and also constains filament close but still away from the Z axis screw.

jam sensor.jpg

I sometimes wonder if a 3D forum would be of use here.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
.stl files are now one of AAC's accepted files (Thx @bertus).

For now I think off topic would be the place to put them unless it deals with the machine itself.