Elon Musk To Host SNL Tonight!

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Is that the Elon Musk whose factory in Fremont just clocked up $750,000 in fines for violating air pollution regulations? What’s cool about that?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Title says it all.
This should be cool...
The Dogecoin community is going nuts over the possibility that DOGE may get mentioned, or even be part of a skit. The coin value has more than doubled since his hosting was announced. It may go up or down big depending on what happens.

Anyway I think he'll be great for the ratings.

1620500764707.png

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Is that the Elon Musk whose factory in Fremont just clocked up $750,000 in fines for violating air pollution regulations? What’s cool about that?
What is cool is that he will be hosting SNL it is not about fines or violations.

If you really want to talk about that, he is making good on the issue by installing solar panels and an electrical power storage system for a depressed community that has a price tag of about 500k as part of the settlement, plus paying the 750k. In addition, better air quality monitoring and management. He is acting responsibly i believe.

Interestingly, he admits that the first human team to Mars will die.

Any other questions? :)

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Being a celebrity is no excuse for not following the rules. But if you love him so much then you always will. He’s doing those good deeds because he has been forced to by the court settlement. Adding things onto his factory can never make up for the mess he also created. Who’s on that first mission?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Being a celebrity is no excuse for not following the rules. But if you love him so much then you always will. He’s doing those good deeds because he has been forced to by the court settlement. Adding things onto his factory can never make up for the mess he also created. Who’s on that first mission?
Well i guess i do see some problems too though. For one, EM's support for crytocurrancy like Bitcoin. Widespread Bitcoin mining uses more than 1/2 percent of the entire worlds energy and that is a small percentage but that's the entire world. Add to that charging electric cars and trucks, and add to that grid problems in the US, i would say those problems are much more severe.
There is some talk of infrastructure upgrades in the US, but i havent seen anything started yet. All the electric usage is going to cause very bad problems if something isnt done.
I think going to 230vac in the USA would be a great thing to do but i dont know if it will cause too many problems with the grid as it has been made for 120vac. Theoretically that would allow current through every wire in the USA to decrease by 1/2. So instead of a coffee pot drawing 10 amps it would only draw 5 amps (with the right replacement of course).

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

Did you guys watch it? I watched the first half but then fell asleep as i had a long day yesterday.
So although i know that he talked about his accomplishments in the monologue, i dont know if there were any pop culture skits later in the show.

But wow he is quite a character :)
Nice to see he likes comedy.

Miley Cyrus did some songs.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello again,

Did you guys watch it? I watched the first half but then fell asleep as i had a long day yesterday.
So although i know that he talked about his accomplishments in the monologue, i dont know if there were any pop culture skits later in the show.

But wow he is quite a character :)
Nice to see he likes comedy.

Miley Cyrus did some songs.
I watched it end-to-end and pretty well remember now why I don't watch SNL anymore. No fault to Elon, he was actually a pretty good sport to appear in most if not all the skits. If there was a surprise to the whole show, it was Miley Cyrus. I thought she was surprisingly good. At least for SNL she toned down the outrageous antics and actually sang well.

I was a bit disappointed how little they wrote around Elon and his businesses. I mean, they had a skit where he played a character from an old video game. WTF? No trips in space, no driverless car, no cyber truck, nothing. Maybe Musk required that, to avoid potential damage to those businesses from a misplaced joke.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I watched it and ditto on the why I stopped years ago, I watched maybe 10 episodes and thought WTF am I waisting my time on this half witted B.S. just to fill a time slot for networks, appealing to people I don’t care to socialize with anyway.

I would rather watch Gone with the Wind, (Not) frankly my dear I don’t give a damn. Although musk was a bit funny, people with ASD are really interesting in their approach to life, I am not surprised his success, however success is measured by adding a bit of luck. A Bass player & Motorcycle buddy has it but he doesn’t look away from you, his might be more Aspergers / ASD high functioning, with a keen memory for certain details while others are blown out, but really good at performing, easily manages songs to the letter / for years.

As to Elon, the comments made earlier I will dis-regard based on the sources of the comments simply because I feel some bias over it. My apologies now @jgessling well said and has merit, but I’m just talking about the person not the Madman behind the company, his persona displayed last night was sort of funny in that he is really kind of child like to me, so that could lend to mis-guided ideals, I mean put a car into to space, there is enough just up there already. So ya, childish and haphazard to the point of double talk and double speak to improve his image was the goal last night, if so then making him more human to the public at large.

All said, best episode I’ve seen this far at least I kept from walking away 10 minutes in.............

Still not a fanboy of S&L

kv

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
All you people who’ve stopped watching SNL. Can you remember why you watched it in the first place? It was the best social commentary on the boob tube. I always enjoy it for its insightful writing and clever characterizations... regardless of whether I agreed with their position or not. You have to appreciate the performances for the brilliance that is SNL. If you let your politics to color your view, then you are missing the point of satire. And demonstrate the black hole that American culture is spiraling into. Lighten up. Expand your viewpoints. Stop being childish and selfish.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
All you people who’ve stopped watching SNL. Can you remember why you watched it in the first place? It was the best social commentary on the boob tube. I always enjoy it for its insightful writing and clever characterizations... regardless of whether I agreed with their position or not. You have to appreciate the performances for the brilliance that is SNL. If you let your politics to color your view, then you are missing the point of satire. And demonstrate the black hole that American culture is spiraling into. Lighten up. Expand your viewpoints. Stop being childish and selfish.
I feel as if i have grown out of it and that the humor is directed at a much younger crowd.
This past show with EM for example i maybe laughed once in the 45 minutes of it i watched and that was more of a brief chuckle. The rest of the time i was like, "what the heck is this". And, "how the heck is this show staying on the air". and "will someone please turn that laughing and clapping machine off".
These days i only watch it when someone i like is hosting sometimes not even then.

Gone are the days of Gilda Radner and Bill Murray.