Electronics makes me happy

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You can't tell from my picture but I'm a little heavier than I'd like to be. I'd be happy with losing 20 pounds. I'm not morbidly obese, just fat. And I'm staying away from vegetables such as Potato Chips, Popcorn, ice cream (Yeah, I know - not a veg!). But the wife seems to think I have to eat 1200 calories minimum daily or my body will go into survival mode. That's just a myth dieters want you to believe. It keeps them in business. And DIET food is even worse for you. So, I've always contended that if my lifestyle I'm only burning 800 cal's a day then I shouldn't be eating to store up my nuts for the winter. Today I had a bowl of dry cereal and a little piece of a chicken breast. AND I've walked for 35 minutes vigorously, de-thached the lawn, stained, sanded and sealed three drawer faces, mowed the lawn and fertilized it. So I'm beat like a drum. The wife will be home soon and we'll be having leftover chicken fajita's. Just give me that and a bottle of updaug and I'm a happy camper.
It’s good to pay attention to diet and exercise. About 8 years ago, I got serious about both. When my car was hit-and-run, totaled, parked in front of the house I didn’t get a new one. I started walking to work, 4.5 miles, each way. Then I started cycling. I changed my diet too, and lost a lot of weight.

There was a lapse when we moved and I retired, but I got back into it.

I am closer to 60 than 55, and I run 5 miles every day (soon I will be back out on the bicycle again). I am muscular and slim, and generally feel very healthy. I know I can’t outrun death but for now, I am in the lead and I plan on keeping it up until I run out of steam. I don’t expect I will be able to keep up the pace indefinitely, but I will do what I can. I want to be here for my wife and our kids, and I want to enjoy life.

Keep up the activity, and listen to your wife, you are lucky to have her.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The health benefits I agree with but vegetables are being manipulated and twisted to entice people to eat them, that's just so wrong. :D
We eat a lot of greens. Spinach, kale, arugula, broccoli, sprouts, etc.; and good brown rice. Bell peppers, green and red, tomatoes, avocados, sweet onions, red onions, yellow onions, Spanish onions, green onions; beans of all kinds, tofu, tempeh; mushrooms of many kinds, fruits...

It’s like an endless menu. I love it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We eat a lot of greens. Spinach, kale, arugula, broccoli, sprouts, etc.; and good brown rice. Bell peppers, green and red, tomatoes, avocados, sweet onions, red onions, yellow onions, Spanish onions, green onions; beans of all kinds, tofu, tempeh; mushrooms of many kinds, fruits...

It’s like an endless menu. I love it.
Picking up a 15lb whole halibut tomorrow for a little family fish fry, those veges sound like a good addition to the meal.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I am closer to 60 than 55, and I run 5 miles every day (soon I will be back out on the bicycle again).
Studies. Ever hear of them? They're everywhere. You can find studies that tell you not to eat something and other studies that tell you to eat them. Where does it end?

Vegan? OK. Personal choice, and it appears to be working for you. Me? I find that when I don't have meat I don't do as well. No studies involved. As mentioned, I've just started walking. I'm too heavy to run and too out of shape to run more than 15 yards. Besides, all the pounding isn't good for you. Right? Or maybe that's not correct. A study - remember those things? A study I just saw suggested that people who walk or run have stronger bones than those who bicycle. They said the pounding hardens and strengthens your bones, whereas bicycling doesn't.

When I was young, in my teens, before a license to drive, I rode my bike. A lot! One morning a friend and I got together to ride to the beach. A 22 mile ride. Nothing for us kids; right?! Well, we got there in Seal Beach and knocked around for a bit, then decided to go down to Bolsa Chica. That was like 5 minutes away. Then it was on to Huntington where again, we knocked around a little bit. Bored with that we decided to see where PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) would take us. ON OUR BIKES! And where we were was more of a road than a highway. Nevertheless, Newport was an interesting stop. But it wasn't the last southbound stop on our trek. We went further. All the way down to Laguna Beach. Back then it was beautiful and clean. By now the day was wearing on and the sun was on its way down. We thought we should head back, so we did. But somehow we missed a turn and ended up in Long Beach. So we turned north. We got as far as Slauson Blvd. I, the ever brilliant kid, had one of those dynamo generators for my headlamp whereas my friend had one of those stupid old headlamps that were battery powered. I flipped the generator on and within a few minutes my legs were spent. It was like dragging a dead horse behind us. My buddy and I decided to swap bikes and he lasted a few minutes. We were dead in the water. Our legs were spent to the max. Stepping off the curb to sit down my knees buckled and I fell to a sitting position. Getting backup was not easy either. I called my dad and he came with the pickup truck to - um - pick us up. He wasn't happy.

From where we started to where we reached was 50 miles by freeway. The route we took was much longer. And keep in mind the "knocking around" part of the trip, we didn't come directly home, so there was much more riding than just going there and back. I estimate we must have peddled a good 120 to 140 miles that day. It was only that stupid generator that did us in. Otherwise we were in the zone. The next day that generator came off the bike.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I avoid this topic, suffice it to say, judge for yourself whether I appear to be a credulous person.

Look into research by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn if you are interested in solid ongoing research. I am not advocating this because it leads to useless controversy. Just talking about myself and what I’ve concluded.

Quite a ride. When I was 7 years old, my father told me I could have any bicycle I wanted. I chose a very conservative Sears bike with high rise bars, a purple glitter banana seat, and a wide slick rear tire. It had a coaster brake and a front hand brake, one speed. I reasoned it was less likely to break, and if the handbrake failed, the coaster was still there. What I didn’t realize was that one speed was a killer. It was like 3rd gear all the time. It built my strength, though. And, I was right—the handbrake failed and I just took it off, but I had that bike up until I wouldn’t ride it any more, in spite of years of abuse it saw.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Bicycle brake failure - ah, I remember my first. It was a long downhill highway/street and down at the bottom was a cross street with a goodly amount of cross traffic. As I approached, the light turned red and cross traffic began to flow. I pulled the front brake and the pincer came off the fork. I hit the back brake, but being on the back, all it did was lock up the wheel and slide slide slide. I thought I was doomed. So I put my feet against the fork and used the soles of my sneakers to rub against the front tire, and I barely stopped before going into the intersection. All the while holding the back brake.

As for controversy, I believe everything I read on the internet. After all, you can believe everything on the internet. How do I know that? I read it on the internet. "D

[edit]

My bike was a 10 speed racer I modified with a banana seat and ape hanger handlebars. Looked like a giant stingray bicycle. Comfortable as hell to ride, hence the long long ride.

We built a trailer for our bikes. We'd put surfboards on the trailer then haul it down to Seal Beach. We felt it was only fair to trade off pulling the thing. The guys got real smart real quick. "Let Tony take the first return home leg." They knew I could go and go and go. They knew I wouldn't wait for them at the next trade off spot. Much of that summer I pulled the trailer all the way home.

One afternoon they were so beat they were barely going in first gear. I pumped up to full speed in top gear and rode (with the trailer) all the way home. Put the surfboards away in Chuck's garage, then went half way back down the trail and waited for them. When they got there they said "Where's the boards?" I said "I left them at the switch-off point." Suddenly they had a burst of energy to chase me all the way back to the garage, where they saw the boards. I laughed my azz off. Eventually they found some humor in it too.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
What? "That is all....carry on." How can you derail that? :D
Not that I feel that wrong but funny.

My diet is simple: living alone, in summer it is just salads and in winter, vegetables cooked in a two-bamboo trays steam cooker.

Meat I do not know how to and I do not like to cook. Too complicate. Only at reastaurants when I travel because of my current job.

Little sugar, no salt no butter.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Not that I feel that wrong but funny.

My diet is simple: living alone, in summer it is just salads and in winter, vegetables cooked in a two-bamboo trays steam cooker.

Meat I do not know how to and I do not like to cook. Too complicate. Only at reastaurants when I travel because of my current job.

Little sugar, no salt no butter.
We're living in a simulation so enjoy the food.

Sometimes there is a glitch.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
they should have been the same.
OK, I don't understand why. My wife and I have the same plates except for the last number. Mine ends in 2 hers in 3. Everything else is the same.

I don't know about around the world but in America license plates are supposed to be unique. No two vehicles should have the same plates. I'd suppose it's possible to have a similar plate with the same numbering, but from different states. Other than that - I don't get the glitch. Sorry if I'm missing something.

BTW: I like the cat picture.

Harcore Fenton Mudds women? Can they really LOVE?

[edit] Last job assignment there was a woman who's last name is Kirk. Her first name is Catherine. Catherine Kirk. Some parents have a good handle on humor.

Rusty Pipes was in my middle school.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
OK, I don't understand why. My wife and I have the same plates except for the last number. Mine ends in 2 hers in 3. Everything else is the same.

I don't know about around the world but in America license plates are supposed to be unique. No two vehicles should have the same plates. I'd suppose it's possible to have a similar plate with the same numbering, but from different states. Other than that - I don't get the glitch. Sorry if I'm missing something.
Two of the same car, almost the same plate, but not quite, parked next to each other. Like the deja vu glitch in the matrix.