electronics devices 1990 store for not failed electrolytic capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior1987

Joined Apr 22, 2021
I have old electronic devices from 1990 saved What is your recommendation for the storage period without the electrolytic capacitors failing due to disuse? I asked manufacturers and they didn't answer or they were confused

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have old electronic devices from 1990 saved What is your recommendation for the storage period without the electrolytic capacitors failing due to disuse? I asked manufacturers and they didn't answer or they were confused
Based on no particular reliable information, the ham radio community prefers to start recapping their equipment starting at the 20 year mark. That said there are units I have seen that continue in service for 30 years or longer. A lot depends on the quality of the original components. Paper electrolytic capacitors are particularly vulnerable, but they are uncommon nowadays. 1990 was just prior to the migration to SMT components. They appear to be less vulnerable to aging. I don't think there is a one rule that fits all situations.

junior1987

Joined Apr 22, 2021
1990 electrolytic capacitors used and mounted on electronic devices Is it necessary to use these electronic devices every month to keep the good electrolytic capacitors without failures caused by disuse?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I recently built a tube amplifier using >50 year old components, including tubes and capacitors. I have not observed any adverse effects. Your experience may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.