Electronics Conventions?

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
ok, here may be a hard question...
When I was going to school for electronics, we went to a convention, ( I forget the name)(techcon?)
this convention was for different companies to show off new components, what I loved about it is I took home a bag full of free components..(I may still have one or two 30yrs later..)
I would LOVE to attend another one and get another bag of goodies..but I have no clue what to look for, all I keep finding is commercial electronics and gadgets shows (TV's stereos etc..)
What do I look for? and more importantly is there one in ABQ or Durango or somewhere close to the Four Corners area?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It seems like there is a convention of some sort about every 40 minutes in Los Angeles.
You might find anything you can imagine in that locality.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
We used to have a big commercial electronics show on the west coast called Wescon (held on alternate years in LA and Frisco I believe) where you could get all kinds of sample goodies but I don't think it's been held in years. The latest reference I could find for it was dated 2003.
I think the decline of the Aerospace electronics business has killed the commercial electronics shows.
All that's left, that I know of, is Semicon (semiconductors) and the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
Kind of sad. :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The Consumer Electronic Show was in Las Vegas this year. This information showed up in a link in a thread by cmartinez.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I remember one of the freebies I got, way back when, were pocket protectors with the vendors' name on them. At that time no self-respecting engineer would be without a pocket protector containing assorted pens, pencils (several colors), and perhaps a small screwdriver for tweaking trimpots or adjusting 10X oscilloscope probe compensation. That, of course, was in the left pocket of a white dress shirt with an appropriate nondescript tie (varying from wide to narrow in width as the whims of fashion dictated).
Ah, the good old days. :rolleyes:

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I remember getting loads of trim pots, touch switches, toggles, push buttons, a piece of wire that shrank when a voltage was applied to it, and I think I got a sensor kit, it is like a electric eye, you would line up the ends so it would see each other, then if there was something in between the link would be broken and no signal would be detected, like a dinger in a store, (I still have that)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The Consumer Electronics Show is held in Las Vegas EVERY year (always in early January). I don't know what kind of trinkets they give away, but I doubt there's much there at the component level.

Nearly all of the conventions and conferences I have gone to have lots of vendors presenting their wares -- sometimes it's been component vendors or software folks -- but almost never have they been giving away samples of components. Mostly literature and "swag" like Frisbees and pens and this and that with the company logo on it -- and lots of candy. I suspect that the "free samples" days are largely over except via the sample request form that many component manufacturers/vendors have on their websites. That got pluses and minuses.

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
well, I aint about to spend 40 bucks (what it cost to get in back then, if I remember correctly) to walk away with pamphlets, pens and pocket protectors..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
well, I aint about to spend 40 bucks (what it cost to get in back then, if I remember correctly) to walk away with pamphlets, pens and pocket protectors..
That's fine. Most conferences and conventions are going after a different sort of patron altogether -- and most cost a LOT more. Conference registration for MilCom was around $1000 the last time I went and there wasn't even a lot of swag to be had. There attendees are looking to learn about advancements in the field of military communications and about what various venders are doing and offering. While a lot of the presentations are very technical and low-level, the vendor floor is dominated by much higher-level system and subsystem vendors, so giving away free samples wouldn't make much sense.

Now, there is a show here in Denver every year (can't remember the name -- I'll ask a friend that I'm seeing tomorrow if I remember) that may be along the lines of what you are looking for and admission is pretty reasonable. I believe it is a traveling show that hits a lot of cities each year and I think they might be more likely to be giving out free samples, but I don't know how many electronics manufacturers would be there as it is mostly about CNC and similar things.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
[QUOTE="WBahn, post: 809222, member: 161605"Now, there is a show here in Denver every year (can't remember the name -- I'll ask a friend that I'm seeing tomorrow if I remember) that may be along the lines of what you are looking for and admission is pretty reasonable. I believe it is a traveling show that hits a lot of cities each year and I think they might be more likely to be giving out free samples, but I don't know how many electronics manufacturers would be there as it is mostly about CNC and similar things.[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen the Industrial/Machine show for a few years. I don't think it exists anymore. :(

I think this is the best here in Denver:
http://www.amconshows.com/spring-shows/denver-co/
They also have a show in Phoenix in June.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Strategies in Light conference is in San Jose. Cree, Philips and the Taiwan guys give away plenty.
Also heat sinks, lenses, diffusers...

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
I think this is the best here in Denver:
http://www.amconshows.com/spring-shows/denver-co/
They also have a show in Phoenix in June.
that shows promise..it says 'free admission' and the one quote "we had to order more giveaway stuff"
plus it is in Denver, an overnight trip in the least, and since no admission cost, means I would have money available for motel..

<edit> ACK its at end of month, I am on disability, I get paid on 3rd, meaning odds are unless I can remember to budget it, I will be out of money..(you try on 850 a month..)