hi dear ,
i am confused why we used network theory in electronics

electronics engineering
analog circuit-make circuit such rectifier,oscillator
amplifier,transmitter
all made with resistor,capacitor,inductor,diode,transistor
so we read this subject to know how make analog circuit

digital circuit-make circuit such adder gate ic
all made from discrete component but use in electronic component so we read digital circuit to make digital circuit

communication system-such mobile communication mobile hardware made with electronic component so we read communication subject for make circuit and their process

control theory-to control output such as sensor
control system made with electronic component
so we read control system to control the output of sensor

these all subject are related to electronics circuit and with the help of these circuit we can analysis analog circuit

what is use of network theory?A

electronic component electric component
resistor resistor
capacitor capacitor
inductor inductor
diode
transistor
electronic circuit electric circuit

i know the use of network theory in electric circuit
but my question is that why we learn network theory as electronic engineer

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Is your degree exclusive in electronics, in contrast to electric engineering? Is that why you wonder if network theory will be useful to you?

I bet all your electronics classes, except for digital maybe, have topologies that include networks of basic components, such as resistors and capacitors. The examples you have seen so far might be simple, but when going large scale, you need a methodical way to analyze those topologies.

If you go even further, discrete components are actually made up from transistors, which are current dependent sources. Network theory covers their operation too.

Why are you so negative towards being introduced to a new knowledge area. Try it, pass your course, and keep it in mind, in case need arises.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I would ask in return "Why did you learn math?"

They are tools to help you be a well rounded, productive person who can solve problems and/or perform the many un-anticipated chores you may be called on to address. What if you didn't know about some topic and were asked to deal with it. Would you say "Sorry I only deal with resistors and capacitors. I am an electronics engineer you know."

I say learn all the theory you can. You don't want to be a myopic engineer, do you?

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You will need network theory and transmission line theory when designing high speed digital projects, which is most likely what you'll find a job doing as an EE.

NEVER skip an opportunity to learn more. I think college goes about it a bit wrong, they teach students a bunch of bits and pieces, but skip how they work together.

The first class should show an advanced hybrid system (analog + digital), perhaps communicating via RF to a base station. Something that performs a "very cool" function, but is extremely complex.

Then as you go through your classes, an image of that circuit is shown with parts of that "impossible to build" system circled where the class covers how it works.

When you are given transmission line theory or network theory, then CPU design class, then an RF class, it is VERY hard to "fit together" in your mind. Whereas if an actual application was shown, or "the big picture" as I call it, students will not only be more interested, but will learn more as well.

Sadly, only a few places teach in this method. It will be about 5-10 years after college if you stay working with electronics/EE, that you will have the "AHA!" moment that suddenly ties everything they were teaching you together.

I feel that "AHA!" moment should come in the Junior or Senior Year, and polished, so to speak, from there.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
"I think college goes about it a bit wrong, they teach students a bunch of bits and pieces, but skip how they work together."

Colleges and Universities teach you tools and theory and hopefully how to think and solve problems. Not everything you need to know. No one knows what YOU will need to know. You have to learn the basics, then think and use the theory and tools to solve the problems. Unless you just want to do resistors and capacitors.

College commencement is just that.... the beginning! Are you ready for the beginning?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
This is a question that can only really be asked before really getting into the subject. As more experience with both circuit theory and electronics accumulates, the answer should become clear enough. Firstly, as others have mentioned, there are parts of electronic systems which are entirely suitable for analysis by circuit theory, including passive filters, bridge circuits, and many active but (relatively) linear circuits.

Then again, some bits of circuit theory are really part and parcel of Electronics, like Miller's Theorem and the various small-signal equivalent circuits for amplifying devices like transistors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid-pi_model

It is true enough that some non-linear behaviour is not accessible in this way - for instance you can't expect superposition to apply to voltages applied at the input of a non-inear device. That does not however mean that we can forget about circuit theory altogether.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
"I think college goes about it a bit wrong, they teach students a bunch of bits and pieces, but skip how they work together."

Colleges and Universities teach you tools and theory and hopefully how to think and solve problems. Not everything you need to know. No one knows what YOU will need to know. You have to learn the basics, then think and use the theory and tools to solve the problems. Unless you just want to do resistors and capacitors.

College commencement is just that.... the beginning! Are you ready for the beginning?
Oh, I fully understand that. What I'm referring to is they teach you a method, say differential equations, but don't give you real world examples of how you would come up with one.

It seems more and more students are simply learning by rote, and the tests are something covered in class and in their notes, but with slightly different numbers. They then dutifully work out the diff eq. While having no practical idea where it would apply, so many people feel it is "Uselessly difficult" until they get to higher engineering classes a year later and realize they have to create the differential eqs, in addition to solving them. When their class focused on simply solving this form or that form, and they learned just enough, remembering it just long enough to get by.

This is a real problem I've seen with students, especially with students that post questions here as allegedly senior EE students, with little grasp of how things tie together.