Electronically triggering push-button system

Zatnikitelman

Joined Jul 17, 2005
Sorry I couldn't come up with a more descriptive title, but it's the best I could do.
I have one of the 9v Radioshack recordable sound modules and I need a way of electronically triggering the sound to play. The problem however is that the play button is one of those that use a conductive button to bridge a grid-like pattern of wires completing the circuit. For my project however, I need to be able to "push" this button electronicaly without using any sort of mechanical linkage. If you need an example, take apart a standard TV remote control, those have the same kind of contacts I'm talking about.
My soldering skills aren't to the point where I could do the SMT-level soldering required to put wire on there so I can extend the contacts to a proper push-button.
Thanks for any help you can provide
Thanks!
Zatnikitelman

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
Hi Zatnikitelman...:)

I think you need a 'touch activated switch' just like this:

When the P.B. switch is press, the relay will close (ON) the ckt. & to open (OFF) the ckt., press the P.B. switch. once again.

I hope it helps you out...

Zatnikitelman

Joined Jul 17, 2005
I'm not sure what the circuit you show would do in this situation. If it comes to simply engaging a circuit with one push, then dis-engaging it with another, I've got that covered, but thanks for the effort.
I've uploaded two pics showing my problem. The first shows the button in its out-of-the-box format while the second picture shows the "grid" of wires I was talking about.
Thanks for any help!
Zatnikitelman

Attachments

ixisuprflyixi

Joined Sep 16, 2007
I agree with Ri the simplest solution seems to be to solder the wires onto the board. Do not doubt yourself. You can clean the leads of the green protective layer where the copper traces are thicker and therefore easier to solder. OR.. using a DMM on continuity mode trace each side of that switch to find the solder joint they terminate at ( if there is one) and solder to that, hopefully larger, solder joint.