Electronically triggered banger, pop thingi

Tom Richardson

Joined Nov 6, 2018
I'm essentially making an escape game and am trying to find indoor safe pyro effects, very little bangs really (like a pop cap, maybe a spark or two), that can be triggered by sticking 5 or 12v through them, seem surprisingly hard to find. I could use a capacitor or something of course, but it has obvious drawbacks! There are ignitors I've used for fireworks before, they could set off a cap or something, but I'd rather not have something that could cause a fire... There must be something purpose made, perhaps for the film or theatre industry and not £100 per pop?!!

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Would be great if possible, my googling has failed thus far!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Look for “recordable sound modules”. The ones that are used in greeting cards. Amazon carries several choices. They can be purchased less expensively than Amazon. Then, record your pop, bang, explosion or whatever you want. If you want a louder sound, feed their output into an amplifier with a large speaker.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Several years back I got curious about HHO (Hydrogen - Hydrogen - Oxygen) generators. The first one I made was in a soup can as the negative electrode with a wire mesh in the middle - insulated from the can using popsicle sticks. A little baking soda and a small 12V transformer with a rectifier. It produced a foamy surface to which I struck a match and got an ear ringing pop. It wasn't a big pop but it was loud enough to ring the eardrum.

I would imagine using the can as one of two spark electrodes you could position it so that when discharged, a spark can jump from the tip to the can. Passing through the foam it will ignite the HHO and give you that pop on demand effect. And there would be very little chance of fire at all. No debris and no flying objects. AND it could be reused over and over without having to fuss with fuses or powders.

OR the other route a flash bulb and sound effects.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
We used to use some nice electrical detonators with Claymore mines, but those would be rather unsafe for your application. A medium sized solenoid banging a metal plate can make a serious noise and be rather safe, and able to repeat, unlike the mine.

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
A pinball machine 'knocker' - basically a solenoid that strikes its metal frame which in turn is bolted to the cabinet.
(this is what makes that 'thump' when you are awarded a credit during a game of pinball)

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A mine is a terrible thing to waste.

OK, foolishness aside, we simply need more detail. If you are reluctant to give us more then you're not going to ge the answer you're looking for.

Look into model hobby rocketry. They use a solid fuel rocket that is ignited by an electric match. IF you have a powerful enough power supply then you can make your own out of some heavy gauge wire with a small thin wire bridging the gap. That small wire can get red hot and ignite a lot of things. https://www.rocketryworks.com/launch-gear/igniters/

Word of caution: If you're planning on making some sort of remote detonated device - that may be a topic that is not allowed on AAC. Hurting someone or an animal is not acceptable. Harming property is also not acceptable.

Details. We need details.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
KW has a decent suggestion. The thumper like a pinball machine plus the flash of a strobe tube. both are mature products available commercially.And safe as well.