electronic switching

Capernicus

Joined Jun 24, 2022
so a transistor is a switch, and its also an amplifier, making it an active component.

Is there any way to make a passive switch - that isnt an amplifier, and only switches a current equally powerful as itself?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Need more information. What are you trying to switch? What voltage and current are involved?

Using a transistor as a switch is referred to as saturation mode. Using a transistor as an amplifier is referred to as active mode. Whether or not you get current or voltage gain depends on which active mode you use.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think you are asking if there is an electronic switch, one that takes an input signal and depending on its state switches an output, that is passive.

No, by definition it is active.

Here is a definition I found:
What are Active Electronic Components?
Active electronic components are those that can control the flow of electricity.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
so a transistor is a switch, and its also an amplifier, making it an active component.

Is there any way to make a passive switch - that isnt an amplifier, and only switches a current equally powerful as itself?
I don't think so, but it is well known that I do not possess all the answers.

Capernicus

Joined Jun 24, 2022
Ill try to explain my situation a little better.

I mean with inductors, capacitors and diodes, more descriptively, maybe even transformers or voltage dividers included.

Its got something to do with a voltage divider with an inductor capacitor or diode next to it, and we want to "open a valve" or "close a valve" with the passive component, plus some connection to battery.

I also mean logic gates, a logic gate is a kind of switch is it not?

I guess all u need is an and gate, and u have a switch?

Capernicus

Joined Jun 24, 2022
Magnetic amplifier?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_amplifier#:~:text=The magnetic amplifier (colloquially known,high current capacity were required.
Use an inductor with two windings, and put some DC on the control winding. By changing the magnetic flux in and out of saturation you can vary the inductance, and control the current in the other winding.
So u just have a 2 input 1 output inductor/transformer, and then u make the input current's oppose, and then u get nothing out the output winding because its phased out?

That sounds cool, only prob I have with that is its AC not DC, and I prefer DC, but thanks for the cool idea, thats exactly what I'm wanting, that and its a shitload of winding to do, capacitor's are alot easier to make at home than transformers are.

Another cool thing is its nicely isolated so you dont have over conduction problems. (Which is the main problem I'm facing now.)

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That sounds cool, only prob I have with that is its AC not DC, and I prefer DC, but thanks for the cool idea, thats exactly what I'm wanting, that and its a shitload of winding to do,
You didn't seem to grasp the magnetic amplifiers working. It won't work using DC only. It only works with AC like any other type of transformer. It uses DC to bias the AC output from the transformer. Transformer don't work on DC.

You will get better answers to your problem by explaining what your trying to do, people are guessing now what your goal is.