Electronic Simon game for beginners, with a twist

djh10

Joined Oct 29, 2014
Hi folks, I've a knowledge of electronics, but an absolute beginner in terms of arduino/raspberry pi/microcomputers.

my question is; is there a place with a step by step guide or any advice here is most welcome.

my circuit idea is to have a microcomputer (I've seen in other places its needed??), and circuit functions as one of these or both:

1. X lights blink in a timescale, they light for a duration of time,you have to hit the light/switch before the light goes out, do this for a minute with a number of these, and the hits and fails are recorded on a screen/lcd.
2. you have a duration of time, eg. minute to hit as many lights/switches as possible. the next light will light up when the previous one is hit. the final score after a minute is recorded on a lcd/screen.

i guess the micro-controller could have both these functions and also upload the performance results to a computer. etc

any advice, recommendations etc... all most welcome.

Thanks very much

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Hi folks, I've a knowledge of electronics, but an absolute beginner in terms of arduino/raspberry pi/microcomputers.

my question is; is there a place with a step by step guide or any advice here is most welcome.

my circuit idea is to have a microcomputer (I've seen in other places its needed??), and circuit functions as one of these or both:

1. X lights blink in a timescale, they light for a duration of time,you have to hit the light/switch before the light goes out, do this for a minute with a number of these, and the hits and fails are recorded on a screen/lcd.
2. you have a duration of time, eg. minute to hit as many lights/switches as possible. the next light will light up when the previous one is hit. the final score after a minute is recorded on a lcd/screen.

i guess the micro-controller could have both these functions and also upload the performance results to a computer. etc

any advice, recommendations etc... all most welcome.

Thanks very much
The first step is to solve the problem and, conveniently, this bit doesn't require any special hardware or a knowledge of electronics or computers but it does form the majority of the hard work.

This is where it helps if you become familiar with flow charts as these will force you to think like a computer and break everything down into a series of simple events and binary decisions. It is then relatively straightforward to convert a flow chart into the low-level language that you are likely to use to program a small micro-controller.

Here's a rough example of what part of the solution for you second example might look like:
Flow chart.png

Of course, you will need to randomly select more than one button and, probably, reduce the time available to make a decision as the game progresses.

You can create as many flow charts as you like, starting at a very high level and filling in the details as you solve the problems. Don't be afraid to write stuff down even though it may be wrong (it's just ink on paper at this stage); it takes many iterations to arrive at a final design.

djh10

Joined Oct 29, 2014
I guess this is what I'm looking, see attachment.

Apologies over the awful writing and if its unclear in anyway!! haha

Attachments