Electronic Parts

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I working on a couple designs and will need parts soon when I get the money..I know about the major supply companies and have been using mouser for a long time but I am getting tired of paying $8 for a couple parts and plus I have to pay tax cause they have a warehouse in my state... I am looking for another company that won't rape in shipping and is here in the USA ???

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I just ordered from mouser and it was only $5 for UPS. I figure that is a fair price for them picking the parts, packaging and shipping.

You can always take your chances on eBay.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I just ordered from mouser and it was only $5 for UPS. I figure that is a fair price for them picking the parts, packaging and shipping.

You can always take your chances on eBay.
My problem is that I need a couple small parts and shipping cost more than the price of the parts and plus I still have to pay sales tax on top of that too.. I never had a problem with mouser and would love to stick with them but shipping and sales tax is costing me alot

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I hate it when I order a bunch of parts and forget one or two things. :(.

I miss the days of the local electronics supply. We had 3 at one time. One was just blocks from where I work. In addition to those 3 we had one that sold surplus parts. A great pace for odds and ends when building a project. And another just closed about a year ago but it was a half hour drive one way, so usually not worth the gas.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
$8.... rape in shipping.
"Rape" is pretty extreme for $8!

How much do you pay to ship a box? I cannot ship anything via UPS or FedEx for under $6 and a buck for the box or envelope.

By the way, if you order from Digikey and select US Mail, shipping is only $3.14 if the package is under a pound.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I working on a couple designs and will need parts soon when I get the money..I know about the major supply companies and have been using mouser for a long time but I am getting tired of paying $8 for a couple parts and plus I have to pay tax cause they have a warehouse in my state... I am looking for another company that won't rape in shipping and is here in the USA ???
Depending on the parts you want I like Jameco. Shipping doesn't depend so much on the distributor.Mouser, Digikey and the big guys don't seem to carry things in DIP packages any more.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Depending on the parts you want I like Jameco. Shipping doesn't depend so much on the distributor.Mouser, Digikey and the big guys don't seem to carry things in DIP packages any more.
I don't know what you are buying but mouser and Digikey has plenty of parts in DIP. Never had a problem.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Jameco, All Electronics (surplus) and possibly Electronic Goldmine (surplus) have been good on shipping for me.

There are a couple of sources in NJ that you may be able to use though they're in the northern part of the state: Electronic Express and Greenbrook Electronics.

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
"Rape" is pretty extreme for $8!

How much do you pay to ship a box? I cannot ship anything via UPS or FedEx for under $6 and a buck for the box or envelope.

By the way, if you order from Digikey and select US Mail, shipping is only $3.14 if the package is under a pound.
My last 2 orders from mouser where $7.99shipping +$3.69tax(Weller Soldering Iron-just the hand piece) and second $4.99+$2.29 tax(Small control for soldering station)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My last 2 orders from mouser where $7.99shipping +$3.69tax(Weller Soldering Iron-just the hand piece) and second $4.99+$2.29 tax(Small control for soldering station)
I am not sure I understand your point. Do you think Mouser is making a profit on the packaging and fright?

I think $7.99 is a pretty good deal because I could not pay for a new box, a printed label, dunnage and postage for less than $7.99 if I were shipping a soldering station somewhere.

Taxes are going to happen no matter where you live. If you tell me a story about another state with lower sales tax, I will likely be able to show you that they have higher taxes on income, real estate or other. New Jersey has some of the lowest gasoline taxes in the country, for example. If I remember correctly, your sales tax are about average for the rest of the country (6 - 8%)?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am not sure I understand your point. Do you think Mouser is making a profit on the packaging and fright?

I think $7.99 is a pretty good deal because I could not pay for a new box, a printed label, dunnage and postage for less than $7.99 if I were shipping a soldering station somewhere.

Taxes are going to happen no matter where you live. If you tell me a story about another state with lower sales tax, I will likely be able to show you that they have higher taxes on income, real estate or other. New Jersey has some of the lowest gasoline taxes in the country, for example. If I remember correctly, your sales tax are about average for the rest of the country (6 - 8%)?
For the $7.99 I got this below not a soldering station and was sent in a padded envelop with usps and not even in a box ..
We're not talking about gas tax or such but I looking for a company that doesn't have a warehouse in
NJ so I don't have to pay tax and shipping.. In NJ we have 7% sales tax and would you like paying an extra 7% every time you place an order when you don't have to ???

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Who's fault is that? You knew the price of shipping. What is it? An iron replacement for a Weller station? You could have found it on Ebay for free shipping. There is a certain cost to pick, pack and ship parts. My guess is Mouser is selling at competitive prices. They are probably not making much on a single soldering iron.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Who's fault is that? You knew the price of shipping. What is it? An iron replacement for a Weller station? You could have found it on Ebay for free shipping. There is a certain cost to pick, pack and ship parts. My guess is Mouser is selling at competitive prices. They are probably not making much on a single soldering iron.
Thank you caption obvious.. I tried finding on ebay but had some shady sellers and wouldn't take the risk.. The only reason I went with mouser cause I already had a order with another company and it was a month and the item never showed up. I am looking to change companies hence the reason for the op ...

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Thats pretty standard shipping cost.
Ok
Thanks for the info cause the last time I placed a small order within $4.00 for a couple parts and came with $7.00 shipping but that was a couple years ago . The last large order was about $50 in parts and was about $12.00 for shipping which wasn't bad cause I got a big box delivered with UPS..I might try digikey or places above for small orders and see what how it goes..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thank you caption obvious.. I tried finding on ebay but had some shady sellers and wouldn't take the risk.. The only reason I went with mouser cause I already had a order with another company and it was a month and the item never showed up. I am looking to change companies hence the reason for the op ...
My name it Captain Obvious. In all the time I have bought on Ebay, I have only had one minor issue. You just need to pick someone with positive feedback above 99%,

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You need to watch the shipping method you choose. USPS is usually the cheapest method but sometime they put weight limits on waht is shippe.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When I use Digikey they have a USPS open for small packages. As memory serves if you can fit into an 8 oz package the shipping is under 4 bucks.

I would expect any distributor to have the same rate available.