Electronic Locks

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I need some advice on the subject of choosing a lock to my house main door.
U see we rent and the customers are making duplicate keys behind my back.

So the solution is to go digital.

What would you recommend is the best.
1. Finger print ( combination with pass key or not )
2. Key card ( card or coin card etc.)
3. Combination lock.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Nothing is perfect but all can be duplicated or have their troubles. Key cards tend to get demagnetized or damaged. Fingerprint systems are inconsistent and depend on the quality of the device you buy. Some cheap readers can be faked with a paper copy of the print. Expensive readers can be fooled with a silicone casting onto, interestingly enough, a PCB etched with a reproduction of a fingerprint (photo or toner transfer). Instructions are on youtube.

There was recently a post here of a tenant trying to by-pass a key card system because landlord would only supply one key per unit. Seems both sides are looking for control of the unit.

I would ask, "why are people duplicating keys? What do your customers need that you are not offering as a supplier?"

Sounds like an untapped market segment exists or new pricing & service strategy is needed.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I think an electronic keycode (combination) lock would be a good choice. My son has a deadbolt that he can program with multiple codes so you can have one or more for the tenant(s) and a master one for yourself. You can then change the tenant code any any time but still retain your master code. An interesting added feature of his is that it has a motorized mechanism and automatically locks the deadbolt ten seconds or so after you leave.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
+1

A friend has a single-code door lock with a motorized deadbolt. She and her renter use the same code and they only change it if there has been some breach where an outsider had to be given the code. If you change your code monthly, for example, anyone that might have been told the combination soon has no access. Just like changing the lock if there are too many duplicate keys floating around.